Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 clk 2002 cab and saw a clk430 cab today with the amg badge on the right back trunk lid. Thought only the 55 had the amg logo, except for the alloys. Is there a new model here? or did the owner just put the label on the trunk?

·
Registered
CLK 320 cabrio. A190
36 Posts
I have a 2002 clk 2002 cab and saw a clk430 cab today with the amg badge on the right back trunk lid. Thought only the 55 had the amg logo, except for the alloys. Is there a new model here? or did the owner just put the label on the trunk?
OMG...
Of course he put the badge...
u should go out more often man [:p]

·
Registered
2001 CLK430 Cabriolet
30 Posts
To be AMG or not to be

I have read the post and in my opinoion ,I believe that there are some valid points that have been made by both sides. But before I bought my 2001 CLK 430 I did some research and here's what I found.

MB and AMG teamed up to produce one of the 1st ever, team effort, part MB and part AMG automobile for public use. From the factory!

Facts:

The Mercedes-Benz CLK430 is powered by a 4.3 liter V8. At Mercedes-Benz, the internal designation for this engine is the 113.943. This "M113" design is used in three engines; the 4.3, the 5.0, and the 5.5 liter, and is used in both normally aspirated and supercharged forms. The M113 design has a number of interesting features, but the part that stands out is the three-valve cylinder head. This three-valve head has two intake valves and one exhaust valve. Another benefit of a three-valve configuration is there's more room in the head. This didn't escape the engineers at Mercedes-Benz, as they used this as an opportunity for another performance enhancement - dual plugs. Using dual spark plugs in a single cylinder creates two flame fronts. The dual flame fronts increases combustion efficiency, allowing more of the fuel to be burned. The resulting combustion forces produce a better piston ring seal and less friction between the piston and cylinder.The dual plug design isn't new (race cars builders discovered this decades ago), but the way in which it's employed is. Mercedes-Benz refers to their ignition as an "offset-phase twin-plug" system.

Although the three-valve head is an interesting feature, there's much more to the M113 design than just the head. The rest of the engine has a number of innovations as well. For example, this design utilizes the world's first cast-in cylinder sleeves made of silicon aluminum. In addition to the lightweight aluminum block and aluminum cylinder heads, the valve covers and intake manifold are both made of magnesium, which is lighter than aluminum. Aside from being lightweight, the intake manifold on normally aspirated M113 V8 has the longest intake runners in the industry. Under hood space was saved by casting the manifold so that the long intake passages spirals around to each cylinder.Aluminum pistons top off the rods, while a lightweight aluminum oil pan buttons up the bottom end. In 2001 all engines were upgraded to ME 2.8 (on the V8's that meant new injectors, and a larger, CLK55 AMG-sized throttle body.

This is a dyno from a 2001 CLK430 . The 245+ HP at the wheels seems to indicate that Mercedes-Benz was very conservative when they reported 275 HP. That would explain the 102+ MPH trap speed on “another” CLK430. In the old days, before we had dynos on every street corner, we used a formula [(.00426 * MPH) ^3 * Weight] to determine horsepower. A 3500 pound car with that trap speed seems to point to 291 HP. A number more in line with the dyno sheeet and the C43 AMG.

The U.S. spec Mercedes-Benz CLK430 features an electronically controlled, driver-adaptive, five-speed automatic transmission as standard equipment.
At the center of this fully electronic transmission is a high-performance microprocessor. In 2001 additional transmission upgrades were made for non-AMG models.This transmission offers Touch Shift. Touch Shift allows the driver to manually select gears without the need to manage a clutch. The 2001 Clk 430 is somewhere in between the Touch Shift and SpeedShift. Speed shift transmissions are a special high performance version of the five-speed automatic from the AMG division of Mercedes-Benz.

Out front, the CLK’s W208 chassis uses an unequal length, double wishbone suspension system.An unequal length double wishbone suspension does a better job of keeping the tires straight up and down, staying in full contact with the road.The unequal length double A-arm design is currently the most advanced suspension design available. Being the best design available, Ferrari uses it in every car they currently build. The front also has coil springs, gas-charged shock absorbers, and a stabilizer bar.

The back of a CLK is anchored by the Mercedes-Benz patented five-link independent rear suspension.The five links are attached to each wheel in a manner that allows the wheel to cede to dynamic forces, yet not produce any rear wheel steer. That allows the system to maintain a proper tire/road relationship while the rear wheels rise or drop, in relation to the chassis. The back also has coil springs, gas-charged shock absorbers, and a stabilizer bar.

The AMG body kit & 17" AMG wheels were added to the CLK 430. The V8 models got the AMG 5-spoke wheels, AMG front and AMG rear bumper covers and AMG side skirts
The wheels and tires are 7.5x17-inch thin-spoke with 225/45ZR17 front tires and 8.5x17-inch thin-spoke with 245/40ZR17 rear tires.

So in conculsion, It is my opinion that a automobile that was built by MB and AMG for the purpose of introducing one of the Worlds 1st V8 powered AMG"s ( for public use ) has the right to badge itself with the CLK badging and the AMG badging. It has both parts. It's earned the right by MB and AMG. The Clk 430 is stuck in between the AMG and a CLK status. It's one of the first of it's kind with the 4.3 V8.( it's a hybrid renegade ) from the factory!

I know this is a hard pill to swallow for you AMG enthusiast and I do empathize because the AMG cars are bad ass and the CLK 430's are a mild version of that bad ass however the CLK 430 is part AMG! from head to toe in some kind of way, internal and external, From the factory.

It kind of like if you listen to the Hurdy Gurdy man by Donovan with Jimmy Page on guitar, Jone Paul Jones on bass and John Bonham on drums which was released months before Led Zeppelin formed. If you shut your eyes and listen during the lead guitar break you can hear the beginnings of one of the words greatest rock bands.

·
Registered
CLK 320
31 Posts
I recently read a thread that stated and I quote

"if you bought front and rear spoilers from AMG NA they would allow you to buy and install an AMG badge (later changed to /////AMG). The question that should be answered is "since AMG NA determined that an owner needed to have 2 exterior items in order for them to buy and display an AMG badge, does this make the car an original AMG?"

These were pre-merger AMG badging rules. No one seems to know Post-merger AMG badging rules.

·
Banned
2006 S500, 2003 ML350, 1996 C280 (Previously 2002 CLK320, 1995 C220, 1980 300SD TurboDiesel)
2,670 Posts
Everytime this topic is discussed I wish I received 10 dollars - then I could afford an AMG myself :)

·
Registered
Hopes & Dreams
1,418 Posts
Again...the post-merger AMG cars all have the two digit naming convention, the 'rules' that apply to post-merger cars means you need the engine and the performance cars. Every, single, post-merger car has that naming convention and once again, you can go look for the proof of this in the real world.

The only reason I mentioned questioning some one over at MB HQ in another thread is so I can get an 'official' answer. An 'official' answer that will wake up all the people living in a dream world where a CLK 430 AMG is a real, factory AMG car. In the real world, a CLK 430 AMG is a CLK 430 with an AMG badge, nothing more.

I have to say though, this guy is the best thing to happen to these "CLK 430 AMG???" threads since the the guy who claimed his car had one of two ''dual acceleration options.''

·
Registered
CLK 320
31 Posts
I posted a new thread yesterday and heres my first reply, and I Quote.

Orignally posted by 6.2AMG
According to the AMG product managers at MBUSA, the official stance of Affalterbach and Daimler is that the vehicle must be an AMG designated vehicle with an AMG motor.

This was announced at the MBUSA/AMG Private Lounge forums some time ago.

Apparently some dealers have either attached AMG badges on non-AMG cars or do not take off AMG badges when customers trade in cars that they personally badged. This is against AMG/Daimler advisement. Only AMG Mercedes vehicles can 'officially' wear the badge.

Hopefully this will suffice those individuals who need official compliance.

In conclusion,
If you have a pre-merger MB with Two or more exterior tuning parts that
were ordered and installed by the factory. AMG allows you to Officially
wear the badge.
If you have a post-merger MB. The Vehicle must be AMG designated with
an official AMG motor in order to Officially wear the badge.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts