Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2005 CLK 350, with 60,000k. It has a series of intermittent problems.

The first sign that something was wrong was when I put it in reverse and the car had no drive. Put it into drive nothing. Go to park, turn off restart works fine. At other times when taking off at lights the car wont rev, feels like a slipping clutch. Then everthing is good for weeks then it happens again.

Then I got a message that there was no coolant in the car and the temperature gauge went high and then the red message saying turn engine Off. I immediately took it the mechanic and he assumed I had no water but when he opened the hood the water level was full. He said it must be the electronics playing up.

Then the airconditioning stops working but decides to work again a few days later.

The last thing that happened was when I tried to start the car one morning, after it sat in the garage over night the temperature gauge went on high as soon as I started the engiine and the fan could be heard very loudly even when I turned the engine off the fan was still running.

All these things happen randomly and the car runs fine for a month with no problems and then all these things start happening and I cant find a pattern to it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Latest installment. Get in the car in the morning and turn the key, before engine start and the radiator fan goes to max speed. The engine isn't even on yet let alone warm. Fan runs for a few minutes after tthe key is removed. What could be the cause of this?

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
Your radiator fan motor (MB call this the 'Engine & a/c electric suction fan with integrated control') is used to cool both the coolant and the a/c refrigerant. It is not energised via the ignition switch but is always powered. However the fan motor control is primarily from the a/c system.

So if the fan motor runs with the engine off, there could be a false demand from the a/c system, or the integrated control system located on the side of the fan has developed a fault.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Are you the original owner or did you buy used? With the number of, and random-ness of, electrical problems it sounds like it could be a flood damaged car. If you bought used, did you do a thorough VIN check or have a mechanic go over the car? If you know the history of the car, then the first thing to do is check all of the main wiring harness connections in the firewall and under the dash. Make sure they are clean and well connected. Not fun work but you may discover something. I haven't owned my MB long enough to know the idiosyncrasies that they have, but I've worked in high tech industry long enough to know that you should always start with the basics. Think Occam's Razor - It's one of the first thing doctor's learn. "The simplest solution to a problem is usually the the correct solution."

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I bought the car a year ago with 45000km on the clock from a dealer with a statutory 3 month warranty. After two weeks with the car I took it for the family holliday and put 2500 km on it in a week. Didn't miss a beat, pleasure to drive. On the holiday it rained cats & dogs, no leaks or any problems at all. Issues with the car are only in the last 3 months.

When my wife told me about the transmission issues I told her she was imagining things. Then a month later it happened to me. Went on a longish drive. Low coolant warning, high temperature doesn't want to rev over 2500, the clutch slipping feeling. I stopped checked the coolant reservoir full, no signs of overheating. Got to our destination, meal & drinks for a few hours. Go home no warnings or issues. Took the scenic route through the national park. Flogged the thing. No warnings or performance issues. Perfect. Go figure. This leads me to beleive there is no physical transmission or cooling system issue as that would be a persistent continuous problem.

By flood damage I guess you mean rain and the top left down. Is that right?

I will get the control system and wiring checked out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts