Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

very close to purchasing a 1999 320 CLK. Any tips on taking care of this baby I should follow? Any horror stories from owning the car? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
There are plenty of both. ;)

If you're not familiar with this chassis, it would behoove you to have a PPI conducted by a knowledgeable MB mechanic. Either it will confirm there are no significant "deal killer" faults, or it will reveal ugly things, or there will be a smattering of smaller things you can use to negotiate a final deal. (In this latter case the PPI ends up paying for itself.)

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It passed inspection back in September and had a safety check (brakes, tires, and driving test) by the dealer, it was A-OK. Still think the PPI is necessary? This one would come as-is and has no warranty. Does scare me since Ive never purchased an as-is car.

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
It passed inspection back in September and had a safety check (brakes, tires, and driving test) by the dealer, it was A-OK. Still think the PPI is necessary? This one would come as-is and has no warranty. Does scare me since Ive never purchased an as-is car.
That doesn't even come close to a PPI. Again, if you're not familiar with the W208, a good PPI is my best recommendation.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree with check codes: do PPI

208's are awesome cars, there are some things you do need to look into and consider before you purchase it:

Check to see if they have records to when was the last time they replaced the spark plugs. I have a 99 clk 430 and the car requires 16 plugs. The parts alone are very expensive. Usually you're require to change them every 75,000 miles.

Check to see the valve cover isn't leaking oil, it's a common wear and tear issue.

Check to see if the MAF and the CPS have been replaced too.

Check to see if the engine mounts have been replaced recently too.

Check to see if the control arms have been replaced too.

Good Luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts