Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
My vehicle is a 270 CDI Mercedes. It's a 2004 registration.

The problem I am facing was caused because I ran out of diesel.

Once I put an amount of diesel into the empty tank I tried to start the car.

I followed the instruction manual and turned the key in the ignition so thee starter motor would run for 40 seconds. It did start and I let it run for ten minutes. At around 10 minutes it cut out. It did not run out of fuel.

I am now not able to restart the car. The battery is not flat and the starter motor goes. I've been told I've probably got air in the pipes.

I don't know much about cars at all, is there anything I can do myself in this situation to avoid expensive call out charges?

Thank you! I would appreciate any response.
If any further info is required about the vehicle please ask.

Tom Waite

·
Registered
2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63 AMG Coupe
791 Posts
Hello.
My vehicle is a 270 CDI Mercedes. It's a 2004 registration.

The problem I am facing was caused because I ran out of diesel.

Once I put an amount of diesel into the empty tank I tried to start the car.

I followed the instruction manual and turned the key in the ignition so thee starter motor would run for 40 seconds. It did start and I let it run for ten minutes. At around 10 minutes it cut out. It did not run out of fuel.

I am now not able to restart the car. The battery is not flat and the starter motor goes. I've been told I've probably got air in the pipes.

I don't know much about cars at all, is there anything I can do myself in this situation to avoid expensive call out charges?

Thank you! I would appreciate any response.
If any further info is required about the vehicle please ask.

Tom Waite
Hi mate,

I don't have any experience with diesels I'm afraid, so I won't be able to help out much. :(

But listen, are you in the UK?

Strange question, perhaps, but you sound like a fellow brit! haha :D

If you are in the UK, I reckon you'd be better heading to "MBClubUK" forum.

It's perhaps the largest UK Benz forum and I think you would get all your questions answered there.
They're a good bunch on MBClubUK and they'll be able to help you out. :thumbsup:

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think the States get the 270 CLK, so you may not get much response here.

Hope I have been of help to you.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2004 CLK 500, 2011 C300 4Matic
74 Posts
I don't have a diesel Benz, but I own a diesel work truck. The system fuel system needs to be bled if you ran it dry. I'm in the U.S. and we don't have that model here, but there is going to be a bleed valve somewhere along the fuel lines that will purge all the air from the system. It will start right up once you do that.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
How did you manage to run out of fuel? There is a low fuel alarm at the cluster that you ignore at your peril!

You might now have to 'bleed the low pressure fuel circuit'. To do this, MB have a portable 'diesel breather pump' that they insert into the fuel line and plug into the cigarette lighter socket.

It is run until all bubbles in the diesel have stopped.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts