Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not being a mechanic and with limited tools.

The Stalk will not Auto the Windscreen wipers. It will if pushed on stalk Wash & Wipe.

With a little movement at the base of the stalk near to plastic casing of Steering wheel it will operate.

After a while she stops again.

Question: can this be a dirt problem or does it mean the stalk has to be replaced?

If only dirt and just need removing the plastic cover below the steering columne how is this achieved.

If Steering wheel is to be removed how to go about this.

Do I need a mechanics certficate to carry out removal of Steering Wheel.

Thanks in advance.

Clive

VIN Number WDB20936112F102727

Registered March 2005

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,370 Posts
Clive - welcome to the CLK forum. and please take a moment to visit the UserCP ^^^ to enter something about your location/model. etc, as this sometimes helps.

Regarding your intermittent switch operation. you are referring here to what is called the 'combination switch'.

This looks quite a hassle to remove/replace, so firstly I would try to fix it in-situ by working some 'electrical switch cleaner' (available from auto spares stores) into any gaps you can find while operating the switch in various modes. If you are lucky, this might do the trick. It is very light and easily penetrates.

The alternative is to dismantle the following:

1. airbag assembly (not for the faint-hearted)
2. steering wheel
3. steering column module. This houses the cruise control switch, the steering column adjustment switch, and the combination switch.

Altogether, quite a task for the average DIYer, but I can post up some pages from my WIS to assist, if it comes to that.

Anyone can work on their own car (in the UK) without formal qualifications. I'm not sure about elsewhere. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2004 CLK 240 Cabriolet
1 Posts
I had the same problem. Went out and bought some electrical contact cleaner, (Car Plan Bright Spark Spray, £4.00). It did the trick

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,370 Posts
Excellent feedback!

That operation has worked for me on previous car/hifi switches. I'm very pleased to learn that it will penetrate our combination switch also.:)

·
Registered
W209 CLK 320 Elegance Convertible 2003
6 Posts
I had the same problem. Went out and bought some electrical contact cleaner, (Car Plan Bright Spark Spray, £4.00). It did the trick
Hi,

How did you get the spray into the switch mechanism? I have the same problem (intermittent wiper/washer operation with the need to waggle the stalk sometimes to get it to work). I've concluded the problem is worn or dirty contacts in the base of the stalk switch but I can't see how to get switch cleaner into the switch assembly.

John (jwts).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts