Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I am hoping to get some advice. I have a CLK 230 Convertible.

Last weekend, from nowhere, the hood would not open. I press the butoon and its as dead as a do-do. Prior to this the hood had been operating normally! No problems, no slow down, no noise.

I took my car to a Mercedes dealer who ran a diagnostic for a bargin sum (not) and they were unable to pin point the problem.

They said it was either the Relay (at a cost of £22) or the Pump (£1500) plus VAT and Labour.

Obviously I am hoping its the Relay, but the dealer says that in order to check, it will take 3 hrs to strip the car down to get at it. Therefore he recommended that the pump be ordered to save on Labour.

For sure I want to avoid Dealer prices for parts and labour. But talking to a friend he cannot understand why 3 hours to locate the Relay.

Has anyone had a similar experience or can offer any guidance. The sun is out, would love to have the roof down but don't want to burn a hole in my pocket to the tune of £2000!

Caroline

·
Registered
2000 CLK 32
147 Posts
Have you undone the cover in the trunk and redone it to make sure it's not the automatic disable? The trunk has a cover inside it that you can fold away when the top is up to maximize trunk space. The hood will not go down while this is in the 'open' position. Sometimes it thinks it's open when it isn't, and the best way to check that is to open it, then close it again and make sure it seats properly. Sometimes if I jam stuff in the trunk, the auto switch gets bumped.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
clk 230 hood

thanks for the tip. i have tried this. the dealer tried this too, but to no avail. i did lose my key and used the spare which did upset the locking system the week before, but the problem occured after this. I am stumped. Does anyone know where the relay is situated? Mercedes tell me it tkes 3hrs to get to it??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts