Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
84' 190D 2.2
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is starting to sound very different. I just had it tuned up about 200 miles ago and for teh first two days was very quiet and very responsive, now its running loud again, and a very rough idle like always. Also, the pulley on the far right of the engine when looking at it seems to be squeeking and is loose when you pull on it. My AC doesnt work so my friend seemed to be the problem. Ill load pictures up also. And when you rev up to about a grand, you hear a chingy, seems to sound like braclets clanging together, and then when you go past that it sounds normal. Also when its in D. My friend thinks this is the motor mount. btw my friend is a mechanic in training and has torn apart tons of cars and is rebuilding his a4 right now. My engine shakes alot and sometimes when cold shakes the whole car and the doors when open. What seems to be the problem?

·
Registered
1985 w201 Euro 2.3-16vlv / 1992 w201 2.6 Sportline Manual
6,726 Posts
My car is starting to sound very different. I just had it tuned up about 200 miles ago and for teh first two days was very quiet and very responsive, now its running loud again, and a very rough idle like always. Also, the pulley on the far right of the engine when looking at it seems to be squeeking and is loose when you pull on it. My AC doesnt work so my friend seemed to be the problem. Ill load pictures up also. And when you rev up to about a grand, you hear a chingy, seems to sound like braclets clanging together, and then when you go past that it sounds normal. Also when its in D. My friend thinks this is the motor mount. btw my friend is a mechanic in training and has torn apart tons of cars and is rebuilding his a4 right now. My engine shakes alot and sometimes when cold shakes the whole car and the doors when open. What seems to be the problem?

Sounds like you have a few problems here.

Shaking car, is 95% of the time due to horrible motor mounts. As motor mounts begin to wear they leak. This means that they no longer carry the vibration reducing effect that they should, meaning that your engine instead of floating on little liquid filled rubber bags is now resting flat on your frame and you will feel it throughout the entire car.

The chingy sound could be a lot of things, have you opened the hood and listened for where the sound is coming from. Mentioning a sound in an entire engine bay is nearly impossible to find. We need more specific details as to what area the sound is coming from.

·
Registered
84' 190D 2.2
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah i have a feeling the motor mounts is deffinatly one of the problems. The Problem is im not sure where the clinging is coming from. I took a picture of what i think might be the problem, or where its coming from, ill load those up asap. It comes and goes through out warming up and driving it, so im not 100% sure if somethings loose or just about to break.

·
Registered
87 190E 2.3 192k Miles
21 Posts
might be a water pump... not related to this car, but my wife's 06 CR-V had a bad grinding sound (that also ticket, rattled) and it was a bad water pump... thank god for warrantie...

Mine started doing that too, and i'm expecting the water pump to go in a couple weeks...

·
Registered
84' 190D 2.2
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
alright thanks. Im taking it to the dealer in about a week or so, and im going to see if he can figure anything out, and then fix it if its worth fixing.

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,804 Posts
Since when a Honda can be compared to a Mercedes? Hmmm... :(
Road & Track did in 1985. They compared the 190E to an Accord SE-i

To some staff members, comparing the Honda to the Mercedes seemed almost blasphemous. But the ins and outs of daily driving, track testing and an intense 1-day trip with four testers swapping the Accord and 190E revealed that the two cars are quite comparable. In fact, our point ratings system, covering 21 categories under the headings of performance, comfort/controls and design/styling, awarding the Honda just 3 points fewer than the Mercedes: 163 versus 166.

Asked for an overall rating, all four testers voted the Mercedes their choice if cost were no object. Taking price into consideration, all chose the Honda. Sounds awfully close to a wash, and the points tally says the same. Does this mean, then, that Japan has slmost drawn abreast of Germany's $23,000 prestige compact with a $13,000 car?

Not quite. There's a lot more to living with an automobile than the sort of evaluations we're talking about - as careful and considered as they may be.

. . . in many ways, subjective and objective, one of Japan's best and most European-like cars does match "the German standard" in its size class. We were surprised at how close the Accord SE-i comes to the 190E when the two are evaluated side by side, objectively and without reverence for either the 3-pointed star or the wonders of Japanese technology. But if the SE-i is any indication (and it is), Japan isn't quite there yet. The 190E offers a level of solidity, finish and chassis sophistication neither Honda nor any other Japanese maker has yet reached.

·
W245 Moderator
2009 C300 4MATIC
3,302 Posts
Road & Track you say... does it really matter (Fancy name that may be selling in NA, I don't even give a shit about this)? C'mon, is not the critiques with their million bucks diapers in the position to judge that, it's us the enthusiasts. And after all, it's an American biased judgment over an European car, being intoxicated already with jap cars. I'll say this again, this calls for another nuke. Well the single moms of NA will continue buying jap crap (Honda, Toyota and the other pukes), go to Europe and tell me how many japs you'll find on the road comparing to good German cars (also I have the impression that the Jetta, Volkswagen's leftover is overpraised here)... Personally I don't give a horses shit on jap cars (well french cars don't even deserve a spit, considering that now they are with Nissan, bleah). Not even a fart.

Signed,
A MB enthusiast (you know me).

·
Registered
1988 190E 2.3
234 Posts
A clanging noise as kynp stated could be from many things and it does sound like your mounts are bad. The most common clanging or metal rattle noise I have came across on the 190's is the Belt Tentioner Damper (shock). When it or the rubber bushings on either end wearout on the older cars it will produce a rattle or clanging and as you raise the rpms of the engine it will go away. It would be one place to start your search.

·
W245 Moderator
2009 C300 4MATIC
3,302 Posts
I hope you agree that it also depends on the engine temperature (and sometimes time after a cold start) where to locate an engine noise (clicking in particular)... and why... :)

·
Registered
190E 2.6 5spd
372 Posts
Well, my engine clinck/clacks on cold starts and I've been told it might be the valve lifters or something.. but I have no clue honestly. Worth checking out, I guess.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts