Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the climate control on my '01 E430. Are there any special tools required to remove it? Is the trim just a pop on pop off operation or do I need something to remove that? Thanks in advance Earl in NC:)

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
You need the radio removal tools to release the catches, its a little early to have a defective one unless you are changing bulbs. The tools are available on E-bay, harbor freight has a whole kit including instrument pulling hooks. I would immagine some audio stores would release it for you. If you are planning on removing the whole panel, there are screws in the radio opening, so the radio needs to be released!

·
Registered
13,885 Posts
You may be out of Freon. If you run low, the EC mode will not turn off. Get the level checked and go from there. Also search for AC diagnostics in DIY to get it started.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Exactly, when the system looses pressure the EC light comes on, mine did the same and the service advisor said that is an indication. They changed some thing and refilled it, it also could be a bad pressure sensor.
They need to fill it and then draw codes

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
If you go to an independent shop for refrigerant (it's Suva rather than Freon, by the way), ensure that they charge by weight and not by pressure.

Most domestic cars use CCOT (cycling compressor with orifice tube) systems, and pressures are a fairly reliable way to judge the refrigerant level.

Our cars (and many other European cars) use TXV (thermal expansion valve) systems, and these systems monitor and react to the low-side pressure in a big way, depending on outside temperature mainly, but other things as well. What this means is that the pressure check for our cars is ONLY a function check and should never be used for the purpose of properly charging the system.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will get that checked Friday. Thanks for the info. My wife told me that she had a leak in the A/C system this past summer so, maybe thats it.

·
Registered
13,885 Posts
I will get that checked Friday. Thanks for the info. My wife told me that she had a leak in the A/C system this past summer so, maybe thats it.
Yup, that's it. Also the EC light may not go off after you get it recharged so you will have to do it manually. See DIY on AC system diagnostics.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Being low on refrigerant does not automatically imply that there is a leak that should be fixed. All automobile AC systems leak, and there is nothing that can be done about this.

If you have performance problems after one year, it is possible that there is a leak that can be fixed. If you're just a bit low after a year but there are not yet performance problems, all you should do is properly charge the system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts