Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, i have an 85 380se that has an issue blowing just cold air, (not ac) i get no heat for the defrost or general heat. sometimes if i move the scroll wheel rapidly up and down a few times the heat will work. blower works fine. ac has never engaged since ive owned the car so dont know for sure if it actually works. been told to change the relay but have not been able to locate it. COLD WEATHER IS COMMING AND HEAT WOULD BE NICE ALONG WITH THE DEFROST,...LOL any help would be appriciated. NATE

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,241 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Look for a relay that has 'Klima' (german for climate) on it.
Before spending $$$ on dealer or aftermaket parts , why not look at a self service wrecking yard in your area?
At local wrecking yards I could get several relays, another push button control unit, some of the under dash vacuum pods (control the air flow flaps), plus some other items for less than $100.
If also needed, a Bosch mono valve repair kit is only $40 or so.

The forum archive has many threads on the topic.
If not sure how to search, please check the 'Welcome to the Forum' announcement / tutorial on top.
Cheers

BTW, cleaning all fuse box contacts, and replacing corrosive tin fuses with copper often makes little electric gremlins disappear.

·
Registered
467 Posts
hello all, i have an 85 380se that has an issue blowing just cold air, (not ac) i get no heat for the defrost or general heat. sometimes if i move the scroll wheel rapidly up and down a few times the heat will work. blower works fine. ac has never engaged since ive owned the car so dont know for sure if it actually works. been told to change the relay but have not been able to locate it. COLD WEATHER IS COMMING AND HEAT WOULD BE NICE ALONG WITH THE DEFROST,...LOL any help would be appriciated. NATE
Sounds more like a monovalve issue than relay: I think the rebuild kit is around 40 bucks, and junkyards will give you second hand ones on the cheap. Located by the battery-- unscrew it and check if the diaphragm is torn. Replace and the heat is good as new!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts