Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1995 E320 Cabriolet
25 Posts
One more thing, since you are driving a old car a head gasket or trans can go at any time. Doesn't matter if it is a MB, Toyota, Porsche.

That is why you should always have 5K set aside to deal with such situations when they arise. If that is not within your budget, European cars are the worst choice for people on tight/zero budgets. I've been in and around MB for over 40 years, but I don't get persuaded by the 3 pointed swastika.

If you think your car will be "fixed" after the blower, don't. Other stuff will break, guaranteed. Just sayin'. And on the newer MBs, it is much much worse. The electronics basically brick the car. I pity the fool who is going to try keep a modern day glass cockpit MB out of warranty and out of pocket for the long haul.

Current day European cars are only a viable idea if you're going to lease them for a few years, but no longer than the factory bumper to bumper warranty.
That’ll be the day when I spend $5k on a vehicle that’s not worth much more than that. As hard as it is, sometimes you just have to say goodbye to car that’s become a money hose.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Cabriolet
25 Posts
Be realistic, you're driving a car that is over 1/4 century old. Let's see how that Cayenne will hold up after 25 years if it will even reach that age. Unless it is a air cooled 911, Porsches are the worst for long term durability.

What you are experiencing is nothing out of bounds. If this was a Camry, you'd be on your 3rd one and shopping for the 4th.

As for the eco junk wiring, you can thank the European treehuggers who are hell bent on recycling dogturds into high end chocolates.

Be lucky you don't live here, since the intent is to ultimately put everybody into a electric shitbox and force everyone to buy a new car at least every 5 years that is no more than 10 years old and meets the current emissions norms.
You’ve had really bad luck with Toyota’s I think: never replaced a blower motor on my Camry (250k), Land Cruiser (160 K) nor Lexus LS (150k) let alone three.

·
Registered
W124
4,746 Posts
Its a matter of taste. I'd replace a blower motor every year in my 124s rather than drive a soul-less Toyota product. Everyone is different. Sometimes its not about dollars and cents. I don't look at cars as being appliances like many people do.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
463 Posts
Its a matter of taste. I'd replace a blower motor every year in my 124s rather than drive a soul-less Toyota product. Everyone is different. Sometimes its not about dollars and cents. I don't look at cars as being appliances like many people do.
Couldn't agree more. I have never owned a toyota I know they last pretty long, they just aren't the same, I think of all of them as beaters. They only dream Toyota I have is the old school supra with the turbocharged 2jz.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
463 Posts
Ok guys good news for right now at least. I took apart the wiper assembly and got to the blower, When I tried to spin it there was resistance, then It unjammed, just to test it I turned my A/C on it spun right back to life. Somehow it seized. I didn't want to go back and disassembly the 25 year old blower so I installed a new Chinese aftermarket blower for $55 and a regulator for $32. Put it all back together and A/C starts right back up. It is barely weaker than OE and much quieter, but does the job very well for the price. No ABS/SRS lights turn on now. Thank you guys for your help. I just hope it can last at least a year, I will update this page if anything happens.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
463 Posts
My only issue is the wiper assembly gasket that goes along the entire bottom front of the windshield doesn't stay in place!

·
Registered
95 E300, 91 300TE, 84 190D
772 Posts
That windshield lower trim gasket piece won't stay in place on my 95 E300, but does stay put on my 91 300TE. I've cleaned the grooves and gasket itself a few times, and no joy.

·
Registered
2008 E320 OM642 Bluetec1992 300D 2.5 Turbo (Sold @ 248k running strong), 1985 240D (sold)
28 Posts
I'm late to the party. However, when the blower on my '92 300D went out I cross referenced the actual manufacturer part numbers on the case to a Siemens motor that was also used in Cadillacs. In 2004 the Cadillac OEM Siemens motor cost about $45 or $55 new online.
I'm sorry I can't give you the model or number of the Cadillac Siemens motor I bought because I passed all the records to the next owner.
I did have to reuse the old fan cages. Pulling the wiper and motor to test and record the part number wasn't too bad the first time and pulling them again to put the new motor in was super easy.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Cabriolet
25 Posts
Its a matter of taste. I'd replace a blower motor every year in my 124s rather than drive a soul-less Toyota product. Everyone is different. Sometimes its not about dollars and cents. I don't look at cars as being appliances
Well I’m sure you’re very special. I’ve owned a few W124s. Have a e320 Cabriolet. They are fine cars but let’s not get carried away about their ‘soul’ —after all they are the most common taxicabs used in Western Europe. Nice cars. Don’t have a ‘soul’

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,176 Posts
That windshield lower trim gasket piece won't stay in place on my 95 E300, but does stay put on my 91 300TE. I've cleaned the grooves and gasket itself a few times, and no joy.
If you're talking about those two wide pieces that go flat against the windshield on either side of the wiper.....if you look closely, there are tiny brackets put in with aluminum rivets that break easily when you take the strips off & on. I've become an expert at riveting them back in. Also, when you do get them all back in place, it's very hard to find the 'sweet spot' where the aluminum tongue fits into those brackets.

Usually, I lift up the bottom of those piece to peek in and make sure they're in the bracket groove as I push down. Without all those brackets in place and working, those strips will never seal right against the glass.

And it's the same on those trim pieces that cover both sides of the glass vertically. I guarantee in taking off those trim pieces some of the brackets will come off with them.

You can use steel rivets, but then you're inviting rust to start happening......bad JuJu.

Kevin

·
Registered
W124
4,746 Posts
Well I’m sure you’re very special. I’ve owned a few W124s. Have a e320 Cabriolet. They are fine cars but let’s not get carried away about their ‘soul’ —after all they are the most common taxicabs used in Western Europe. Nice cars. Don’t have a ‘soul’
Like I said, its a matter of taste.

·
Registered
W124
4,746 Posts
Your '91 TE doesn't have the same set up right? The '95 e300 has a plastic grooved piece of trim that shrinks, cracks, breaks and doesn't retain the trim gasket. On the TE, there are metal clips like Real1Shepherd mentioned.

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,176 Posts
Except that the Japanese in an effort to compete world-wide in luxury car manufacturing.....took apart the world's best luxury cars like Mercedes and reversed engineered the Lexus, Infinity et al. That's why they have no 'soul'. They 'cheated' and didn't do the typical R&D necessary to make a luxury car from the ground up.

Mercedes built their cars from ground up in a long tradition of using their own previous design platforms and evolving them further. The fact that you see Mercedes cars as taxi cabs, police vehicles and so forth just proves how reliable and stodgily built MB cars were. However, I'm not going to wax poetic about the present Mercedes company and what they make...since here we're only talking 124's, 126's and the like.

Most all of us here would like MB to come back and be the kind of company again that made our cars. But given the state of the world, bean counters running companies and environmentalists, that is most likely not possible.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
6,834 Posts
I definitely prefer the ride and driving feel of a tight 124 over most anything else I've ever driven. Mercedes S class are too big, heavy. the C class and the couple BMW's I've driven have been too small/light. Lexus are too numb, they remind me of Buicks.

I'll admit, I've not driven too many /new/ cars where new is > 2010. The ones I've ridden were all are too gadget laden for my tastes.

·
Registered
W124
4,746 Posts
^ You are so right. install a new set of front struts and rear shocks in almost any W124 and it will feel like the day it rolled out of the dealership.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts