Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1985 500SEC
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
just for peace of mind.. there's no chance to damage the new blower resistor installed 22 hours ago with this unit right? It should technically send the same voltage and so on? haha

Its a 6 speed fan cycle? Low setting is speed 1, high setting is speed 6, auto is everything in between?

·
Registered
1985 Mercedes 380SE Metallic Navy Blue
463 Posts
DISCONNECT NEG SIDE OF BATTERY BEFORE DOING THIS...:)

·
Registered
1985 500SEC
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
DISCONNECT NEG SIDE OF BATTERY BEFORE DOING THIS...:)
haha absolutely.

For peace of mind i'll disconnect the entire battery.
(Remove neg, then pos. When reconnecting, connect pos, then neg)

and of course... remain calm :thumbsup:

·
Registered
463 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: 281lxm

·
Registered
463 Posts
That's the w124 unit, once the faceplate off that's what you get.

And I must say, the Autoguide app for android is very well done!
Nice pics. Should be fine:) I like the 3 button look better than orig.

·
Registered
1985 500SEC
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
conclusion is! ...post 85 w124 climate control will not fit into a 85 w126.

They look very similar but both units are actually slightly different in size.

The distance between the heat dial on the left and the fan speed buttons on the right are about 1 inch wider on the w124 units than they are on the w126. So the wood trim from the w126 will not be compatible.

Furthermore, mounting brackets are completely different. So the w124 unit cannot actually be fastened into the dash of the w126.

I haven't actually plugged it in to test if they would actually work, but regardless.. w126 needs a w126 ccu.

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,498 Posts
any W126 Gen 1 ACC unit will work. Gem II
ACC units are configured differently and are
too large to match Gen I trim panel. Plugs are
different as well.

·
Registered
463 Posts
conclusion is! ...post 85 w124 climate control will not fit into a 85 w126.

They look very similar but both units are actually slightly different in size.

The distance between the heat dial on the left and the fan speed buttons on the right are about 1 inch wider on the w124 units than they are on the w126. So the wood trim from the w126 will not be compatible.

Furthermore, mounting brackets are completely different. So the w124 unit cannot actually be fastened into the dash of the w126.

I haven't actually plugged it in to test if they would actually work, but regardless.. w126 needs a w126 ccu.
You could make it work with a jigsaw!:p

Did u remove the ccu yet and open it up?

·
Registered
1989 560SEL, 1979 Cressida MX32, 2006 F150 Lariat
1,510 Posts
The Gen1 and Gen2 climate control units are completely different beast from one another as is most of the HVAC system in general. I went down this road already back when I was installing the Clarion G80 audio rack system from a Gen1 into a late Gen2.

Not only was the Gen2 CCU redesigned, it also had additional circuitry to prevent a melt down caused by a failed auxiliary water pump as stated above. Some late 84/85 Gen1's were equipped with a revised version of the CCU.

In order to use the Gen2 CCU in a Gen1 you will need to change out the entire HVAC box, complete wiring harness and all associated sensors, something I had thought about doing myself but made a new console panel instead because the swap would have been intensive to say the least.

I have a Gen1 1985 500SEL CCU if you are looking for a used one, it came with my Clarion G80 and is in near perfect condition if you want it as I cannot use it.

First pic shows the Gen1 CCU unit I have on the AMG panel and the second pic shows the panel I had to make for a Gen2 CCU and I did this to avoid having to swap out the entire HVAC system.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 500SEL AMG, 90 560SEC AMG, 85 500SEC AMG Widebody
1,845 Posts
Grumpy,

Can I get the Gen I CCU from you that you have available? I would like it for my 84 AMG.

Thanks,

Al

21 - 31 of 31 Posts