Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
00 SL500 SOLD, 05 SL600 Sport, 09 Silverado 4x4 LTZ,SOLD '15Silverado LTZ 6.2 8Speed John Deere 318
1,781 Posts
OK, NOW for the BIG question!!!! Does it work better???? Hope so, Glad everyone could help!!!

·
Registered
1999 SL500
123 Posts
That is the question......I only drive it around town so will have to wait till I go on road trip when it is on for an extended time. Did run a diagnostic using the head unit and the number now comes in the correct range. Previously it was way, way off. So i'm hopeful it has been completed correctly. Thanks again.:)

·
Registered
00 SL500 SOLD, 05 SL600 Sport, 09 Silverado 4x4 LTZ,SOLD '15Silverado LTZ 6.2 8Speed John Deere 318
1,781 Posts
If the # look better, I'm sure you will be all set, Mine did the same thing, It now works PERFECT!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
98 SL500
362 Posts
I ordered the A/C evaporator temperature sensor from AutohausAZ. Price was $40.46 plus $10 for shipping. A $50 order has free shipping so I found a Microfiber Body Shine Duster for $11.35 and added it to the order . Almost free.
Order came in yesterday and just finished the install today.

Using the post as a guide, installed the sensor, it went as planed.

Tried to take some pictures - hope they help

1) Removed the fasteners holding the carpeted cover under the steering column.
3 each -Phipps head screws, the first one on the left you need to pull the parking break release out to access the screw. The others are easily accessed
2 each - hex head screws - use a 8mm socket. Pic. #1 & #2

2) Now everything just drops down.

3) Using drags1998 description as to the sensor location I found it. As he said just the back end of the sensor is showing. I am pointing the screw driver at the location of the sensor. Right side of the steering column. It’s above the floor air vent. That is the vent opening behind the screw driver with the deflection plate removed. Pic #3

Pic #4 is the original sensor before it was removed. See wires going to it.The sensor is just pulled from the box.

Thanks for the help guys - hope the pictures help the next person w/install.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 SL 500 SL-2
170 Posts
Many thanks for these clear instructions. It brought my system back to normal.

Note that there is a Heater Core Temp Sensor p/n 1268301772 (straight-not bent in a dog leg) more directly behind the radio cluster (but on driver's side also). It is a two lead device, but not dog legged like the offending sensor. In picture #3, it would almost be visible at about 2:00 o'clock from the tip of the screw driver.

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
Note that there is a Heater Core Temp Sensor p/n 1268301772 (straight-not bent in a dog leg) more directly behind the radio cluster (but on driver's side also). It is a two lead device, but not dog legged like the offending sensor. In picture #3, it would almost be visible at about 2:00 o'clock from the tip of the screw driver.
Does it look like this Heater Core Temp Sensor p/n 1268301772 ?

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 SL 500 SL-2
170 Posts
Ah yes, thanks for identifying it.

·
Registered
99 R129 SL500
2 Posts
Thanks for all the help everyone. I was finally successful in finding the sensor and replacing it. The key on my car was that i also needed to remove the black panel that was located directly above the pedals to see the sensor.
I have the black panel in the way as well. It appears to be held in place by the 2 hexagonal screws that I removed to take the carpeted piece out and a screw next to the gas pedal, and that last one is not coming out. I am afraid to use force since it looks like a really flimsy pice of plastic.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
94 SL600, 89 Jag XJS conv, 85 Daimler Princess, 97 993 63 Avanti 16 Lincoln MKZ hybrid 16 Silverado
720 Posts
I recall a plastic flange that engages a metal bracket near the engine compartment that keeps the black plastic from dropping on the brake paddle. pull the plastic toward the seat. The hard part was getting everything to fit back with the A/C hose to the door panel connected.
Good luck. remember old plastic breaks!!!

·
Registered
99 R129 SL500
2 Posts
Yeah, that plastic flange took a lifetime to come out, then the black plastic panel slid towards the seat and dropped down.

Now I am having trouble disconnecting the old sensor from the wire coupling.

Slowly but surely I will get there.

Just out of curiosity, the old (I assume original) sensor is slightly different from the one ordered from AutohausAZ isn't it?

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Mine was also a little different, Thats OK, It will work fine!!!!!! Mine has worked GREAT since changing I did it!!!!

·
Registered
Mercedes SL500 1999 R129
30 Posts
Yes mind was different too. Same kind of shape but the original one I took out seemed to have a plastic guard cover around the sensor node (you can see part of it from the picture). Here are some pictures I took (already uploaded to a similar thread).

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 S350 Magnetite Black, Cashmere, Premium 1, Rear Seat Package, 2008 GL320 Blue, Tan MB Tex, P2
14 Posts
Thanks all for the details here. I replicated the evaporator sensor replacement in my 99 R129. After the dealership did not diagnose the issue and charged me $130 for the non-fix!

·
Registered
2 Posts
mercedes R350 interior temp sensor

where the evaporator or interior temp sensor located on mercedes benz R350???? i been looking all over inside the van couldn't find. appreciate your help. thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have replaced Evap but air is still not blowing by the left tunnel. When I disconnect evap sensor it blows through it but not through the center one. So now I wanted to replace heat core temp 1268301772 but do not know where it is located.

Thanks for help.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts