Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1999 SL320 V6
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 320 SL R129 Can anyone help with the following? Where is the EVAPORATOR TEMPERATURE SENSOR located? I need to locate this as the climate control stops after about 15 – 30 minutes and then returns after car has been stopped for about 30 minutes

·
Registered
00 SL500 SOLD, 05 SL600 Sport, 09 Silverado 4x4 LTZ,SOLD '15Silverado LTZ 6.2 8Speed John Deere 318
1,781 Posts
Now I need to DIVE under the dash and see if I can find the A/C evaporator Temp. sensor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The FUN never ends!!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
00 SL500 SOLD, 05 SL600 Sport, 09 Silverado 4x4 LTZ,SOLD '15Silverado LTZ 6.2 8Speed John Deere 318
1,781 Posts
Thanks Lynn, I ordered and installed a new Evap temp sensor a week or two ago and have not had a chance to get out on the road and see if its cured. REALLY BUSY with family things!!!!! The sensor was easy to find, with the good pic's I found after doing some digging!!!! The readings I got after replacing the sensor (in diog.mode) were MUCH better than with the old sensor, so my guess is that I will be all set!!!! Thanks EVERYONE!!! for your help!!!

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
I ordered and installed a new Evap temp sensor a week or two ago and have not had a chance to get out on the road and see if its cured. The sensor was easy to find, with the good pic's I found after doing some digging!!!! The readings I got after replacing the sensor (in diog.mode) were MUCH better than with the old sensor, so my guess is that I will be all set
Paul, what was your car exhibiting before you installed the A/C Evaporator Temperature Sensor, p/n 2108300772 for $40.46 at AutohausAZ.com? Would you please point me to the pics that made it easy to install?

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
In My car the A/C would work fine around town, once on the highway for 30-60 minutes I would notice that the fan speed would keep going up(towards high speed) and the interior temp was getting warmer(above the set temp.) This lead Me to believe that the Evaporator was frosting up. Apon putting the A/C system into dianostics mode, The Evap. temp sensor was reading WAY away from what it should have been. ( It should have read 35-40degrees and it was like115 degrees) The sensor is VERY EASY to find and replace, Remove the lower carpeted section of the dash just to the left of the steering column, (hardest part of the job) Theres a phillips screw hidden between the top of the carpet and the parking beake release lever, and a small hex screw under the edge of the panel down towards the throttle pedal. Once you remove that panel, The sensor is just behind the edge of the console. It is the ONLY thing there with 2 SMALL wires in a wire connector that just plugs into the sensor. It took Me about 10min. to finish the job!!!! Lynn, If you need help with it, give Me a call!!!! Sorry I couldn't remember where I saw the pic's

·
Registered
1999 sl500
219 Posts
you said to the left near the parking brake but in the picture its to the right of the steering column... now im confused

In My car the A/C would work fine around town, once on the highway for 30-60 minutes I would notice that the fan speed would keep going up(towards high speed) and the interior temp was getting warmer(above the set temp.) This lead Me to believe that the Evaporator was frosting up. Apon putting the A/C system into dianostics mode, The Evap. temp sensor was reading WAY away from what it should have been. ( It should have read 35-40degrees and it was like115 degrees) The sensor is VERY EASY to find and replace, Remove the lower carpeted section of the dash just to the left of the steering column, (hardest part of the job) Theres a phillips screw hidden between the top of the carpet and the parking beake release lever, and a small hex screw under the edge of the panel down towards the throttle pedal. Once you remove that panel, The sensor is just behind the edge of the console. It is the ONLY thing there with 2 SMALL wires in a wire connector that just plugs into the sensor. It took Me about 10min. to finish the job!!!! Lynn, If you need help with it, give Me a call!!!! Sorry I couldn't remember where I saw the pic's

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,371 Posts
As far as I know the evaporator sensor is where the picture says it is.

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
1999 sl500
219 Posts
Some people are saying that it's on the left under the carpet by the e brake... My car is a 99 maybe they moved it? Now I'm lost I ordered the part from Autohaus az for 40$

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,371 Posts
Don't worry about it, the right location is there... the sensor has to sense the evaporator temperature, but not from three feet away, not that it can not be done, but why?

Paul is a very knowledgeable guy.
Maybe he made a mistake, we all do.

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
1999 sl500
219 Posts
Do you guys have some type of info on how to do the repair myself? In the pic it looks like u have to remove the dash or something? Thanks again guys

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
Do you guys have some type of info on how to do the repair myself? In the pic it looks like u have to remove the dash or something? Thanks again guys
Sorry to say this but if you read the above posts all the information is already there.

Yes, you have to remove the carpeted piece, known as the bolster, just above your right and left knee, under the steering wheel. You should then be able to see where the new part goes by the right knee.

Please keep us posted if you find any of the above information that needs to be corrected.

·
Registered
1999 SL500
123 Posts
ok, can't believe I need more help but I cannot find the Evap sensor. I've got the carpet off below the wheel and have been on my back for the last 15 minutes trying to find the sensor. I can't see it! My car is a 99 sl500 and from reading the above posts it should be an easy find but I can't see it....I've looked around where my right knee would be, right of the steering column but nothing.

What am I missing? Can anyone give me a more "detailed instructions" to help me out.:bowdown:

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
R129 A/C Evaporator Tempurature Sensor location

My car is a 99 sl500 and from reading the above posts it should be an easy find but I can't see it....I've looked around where my right knee would be, right of the steering column but nothing.

What am I missing? Can anyone give me a more "detailed instructions" to help me out.
After you figure out where it's located please come back and tell us how you found the A/C Evaporator Temperature Sensor, p/n 2108300772

The PDF says, "located in the air flow behind the evaporator in the A/C housing".

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 SL500
123 Posts
Thanks for the help.

I think my problem is that I don't know what a evaporator looks like or a A/C housing. I was hoping I would see the old one and unplug and plug in the new one.

Will the sensor be "enclosed or inserted' into something or just plugged in and stay open to the air?

·
Registered
1999 SL500
123 Posts
just looking to replace the sensor....Anyone else able to help?

Been looking through other MB sites and now understand that I'll only see the back of the plug rest is inserted. Can anyone tell me the color of the wires that go into it so i can follow them?

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Sorry for the confusion, once the carpeted cover is removed, I got down on My knees outside of the car, If you look about a foot behind the Radio and AC control on the drivers side of the the Transmission tunnel about 18-20 in off the floor, you WILL see just the end of the sensor sticking out of the A/C-heater housing!!!! Its the ONLY thing right there with any wires going to it!!!!! Your '99 is JUST LIKE MINE!!!! I know the sensor is right there. Most of it is sticking INSIDE the A/C box, only about 1/2 in. is visible. I believe that the sensor just pulls out of the side of the the box. (Its been a year, and I forget stuff) If you still can't find it, Let us know and I will TRY to post some pics Tomorrow. (REALLY busy and leaving town for a couple of Days) GOOD LUCK!!!!!!! I think the wiring to it is BLACK?????

·
Registered
1999 SL500
123 Posts
Thanks for all the help everyone. I was finally successful in finding the sensor and replacing it. The key on my car was that i also needed to remove the black panel that was located directly above the pedals to see the sensor.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts