Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
6,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a spare Climate Control disassembly that I am wanting to restore.
It doesn't work properly, so here goes.
I did touch up the solder joints - noted 2 that might be the trouble.
Looked for a thread on doing this but could not find one.
I am having trouble pulling the front push button escutcheon off - got it loose but having some trouble with the pushbuttons.

Here are some photos so far:

Cover removed exposing the area to touch up with soldering iron:

These push buttons have the graphic and clear plastic lens:

Cover off the dial. Note the corroded contacts:

Those contacts make connection on this small PCB:

Wheel removed. Need to find a new Red/Blue ribbon decal:

Pulling the plastic cover for the dial wheel:

Here is where I am stumped. Can't get this bezel around the push buttons to remove:

Another view of the PCB:

Parts removed as I stand now. Broke two of the four tabs for the dial cover. They can be glued back on.

·
Registered
1998 C280; 1987 560SL
471 Posts
I took the only one I had from the car an took it all apart. Soldered a lot of the joints that looked suspect. Put it back together and I see no change - nothing works. Temperature won't control, fan runs on basically one speed. It obviously needs some parts replaced. Hard to cough up $400 for a rebuilt programma unit. :(

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
6,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took the only one I had from the car an took it all apart. Soldered a lot of the joints that looked suspect. Put it back together and I see no change - nothing works. Temperature won't control, fan runs on basically one speed. It obviously needs some parts replaced. Hard to cough up $400 for a rebuilt programma unit. :(
Were you able to completely remove the circuit board?
All I could do was see the bottom where I touched up the solder joints.

I wonder if you can find a Climate Control in a Junk Yard from a Mercedes sedan of the same era that will work?

·
Registered
1998 C280; 1987 560SL
471 Posts
Were you able to completely remove the circuit board?
All I could do was see the bottom where I touched up the solder joints.

I wonder if you can find a Climate Control in a Junk Yard from a Mercedes sedan of the same era that will work?
Well, as I recall I was not able to get the circuit board loose to see the top. I think to do it right you would have to replace at least the capacitors. I have seen some used Units on Ebay for around $150 and some of them have guarantees you can purchase that they work. I have thought seriously about them, but haven't pulled the trigger. I sure would like to get the climate control working. North Alabama doesn't have many junk yards with 107's. I found one a couple of years ago at an LKQ and I picked it clean of everything I needed at the time. It was a 78 and so climate control was different.

·
Registered
300sl 1987
746 Posts
What is the exact problem you are having? You have to remove the pushbuttons first with some small flat screwdriver and yes, leverage hard, they are well seated. When putting them back pay attention to the orientation to make sure the lighting plastic window is placed right or they will not illuminate. Here is what I did: Reparacion centralita AC - Foro Club w107 España Use google translate. Do NOT try to pry the front plastic cover off, the buttons must go off first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts