Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Climate Control 190E

2353 Views 8 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  aaronn71
I was just wondering why Mercedes got rid of the Economy button in 1987. Was there a change in the climate control system that made it use up less engine power and therefore no longer need the switch? Thanks.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I honestly don't know. The economy button was to force the climate control not to use the AC compressor. The snow flake allows the climate control to choose whether or not to use the AC compressor, then the other button forces the AC compressor to run.<br> <br> The new system I would guess allow you to do the same things, just maybe with different controls. I don't know. One thing I don't like about the system is how the center vent will not blow out heat.

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My car is an '86 so this may not be exactly accurate about the '87's on, but it's close. On the later model climate control, you can force the compressor not to run by engaging the right combination of buttons. I think it's the lowest button of the three vertical ones and the dash vent button from the horizontal ones.<br> <br> But I completely agree - the older style is not only much more intuitive, but more flexible since you can use economy mode while directing airflow wherever you want it.<br>

· Registered
1985 190E 2.3
37 Posts
Can anyone post an actual explanation to what all those buttons do? I have my car for l...

Can anyone post an actual explanation to what all those buttons do? I have my car for less then half a year and I'm still not sure how to get heating going, and a/c to the max, I got an 85 190E, and for the most part the ac didn't work at all, it works now but real crappy, but I think that's cause my aux fan is dead, need to find out why it's not working. But all those buttons have me lost. Help is appreciated, I don't want to freeze in the winter.

· Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,803 Posts
Re: Can anyone post an actual explanation to what all those buttons do? I have my car for l

Okay, here goes:
The center air vents are for non-heated air only, which includes AC and outside air. The left and right vents carry heated or AC or outside air.

Below the center air vents are your Tempmatic Climate Control System controls, going from left to right, the first row:

Air Recurculation Switch. Pressing the switch causes air to be recirculated with only a small amount of fresh air. Use this if the air outside stinks. At high outside temps, the a/c is automaticall in recirc mode. Dont use this switch when in defrost or when inside windows fog up.

Fan Speed Control Lever. Self explanatory

NEXT ROW DOWN

Temp Wheel (don't you love Centigrade?)

Buttons:
Defrost or fast defogging. Max heat is sent to windows and windsheild regardless of temp setting. Air recirc must be off.

Defogging inside glass(Single Up Arrow) Air is sent to windsheild. Recirc must be off.

Heating and Cooling (Double Arrows) Use this for AC and heating at the same time.

Normal Heating (Down Arrow) Most of the heated air is sent to the foot wells with a small amount going to the windshield. The center vents get non-heated air.

Normal Cooling or Fresh Air Ventilation (Double Box)

No Fresh air supplied (Big O)

AC Buttons (3 stacked)
Max Cooling
Normal Setting (snowflake)
Economy Mode (EC) = No A/C

Can anyone post an actual explanation to what all those buttons do? I have my car for less then half a year and I'm still not sure how to get heating going, and a/c to the max, I got an 85 190E, and for the most part the ac didn't work at all, it works now but real crappy, but I think that's cause my aux fan is dead, need to find out why it's not working. But all those buttons have me lost. Help is appreciated, I don't want to freeze in the winter.

· Registered
1985 190E 2.3
37 Posts
Thanx a lot MTI, I never got a manual for my car and could never really figure these out...

Thanx a lot MTI, I never got a manual for my car and could never really figure these out, they seem to work differently all the time, but at least I got the double box one figured out :)

· Registered
60 Posts
I have some clarifications on what he said.

The up and down arrows next to the defros...

I have some clarifications on what he said.

The up and down arrows next to the defrost button are:

The single up arrow sends air to the center vents and the windshield. The center vents are always on, you shut them off with their sliding switches (duh). So w/ the next I explain they are included.

The single down arrow sends air to the floor.

The both up and down arrow sends air to the windshield AND the floor.

The one that is the rectangle with the line is the center vents only.

The defrost button on there is MAX heat to the windshield (and center vents) along with the AC COMPRESSOR RUNNING!! You'll notice the power loss if you've got the 190D like me! :-D

Now the stacked buttons are a little more in depth than what he said.

The top most one (can't remember the symbol) is AC compressor always on. No matter what settings you use temp or vent choice.

The middle one with the snow flake allows the climate control to choose when it needs to use the compressor. I don't know if it measures the moisture in the air in the car, or if it goes by the temperature. But I've never liked what it does, so I never use it. It seems to not use the compressor when I want it (windows fogging up) or it uses it when I don't want it. So I choose for it! :)

The EC is the economy mode, meaning AC compressor always off.

What he said is all correct, I just wanted to clarify some of the points. I hope I made some sense!

· Registered
W201 190e 2.0 Litre
5 Posts
This might help

I had a similar problem (fan related - the only difference with my system is that it has standard a/c, we did not recieve climate control out here in Oz unless specifically ordered...(dumb, hey?)
All that was needed was a top-up of a/c gas. Apparently the aux fan will only engage when the engine gets up to 100deg centigrade, or if the a/c is engaged, and the pressure in the reciever/drier reaches a certain level. If the a/c unit is low in gas, it does not reach this pressure and therefore does not engage the fan. Be wary, though, my a/c only needed topping up because the last (and first) owner had not done so since 1989 when the car rolled off the sghowroom floor. You could be wasting money if your system has a leak (checked with dye at your service point)as the gas will simply escape again, and you are back to square one. A replacement compressor is mega-bucks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.