Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

121 - 128 of 128 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #121 (Edited)
Here are some more pics from cleanup I did this weekend. There was a lot of sloppy wiring done when the aftermarket amp + speakers were added, so I took the time to clean that up properly. Basically used some fish tape to pull everything through the existing conduits and then zip tied things nice and clean

I got the 5 or 6 tackle boxes I have of hardware (screws, nuts, plastic bits, etc) and replaced any missing pieces. There were lots of small items missing - like the plastic nut that holds down the passenger footwell. If anyone else here is missing small pieces like this, shoot me a DM- I'd love to help you get legit replacement parts (you could always find something at Ace, but I like having the real parts better)

Being able to take care of these small details is *extremely* rewarding. I'm really grateful I have a beat up old truck for backup as this car has been out of commission for a while :(

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,985 Posts
Brian, were those my sockets in the parts boxes? I didn't mean to ship those. I didn't pack all that stuff up.

Sorry...

Glad you liked!

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Brian, were those my sockets in the parts boxes? I didn't mean to ship those. I didn't pack all that stuff up.

Sorry...

Glad you liked!
Hey there! No, those are my sockets. I have a mix of Duralast and Husky ones lol. My tool collection is really sorry- but it’s getting better

·
Premium Member
9,985 Posts
Oh, okay, because I found some in the boxes while packing and thought I got them all. Mine are all Craftsman.

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Brian, was it troublesome getting the rear interior cards off?
I wouldn’t say it’s hard, but it’s tedious

To completely remove it, you have to unscrew the 6 bolts that are joining the wires for the window control button. I typically do one at a time and re-secure the screw back in before moving to the next (to preserve the order the wires are in). Getting the window control popped out with a small wedge is a pain in the ass because no matter how gentle I’ve been, I always leave scratches

Putting it back on is more difficult. You need to make sure the edge snaps over the window rubber perfectly, otherwise the rear window won’t open. You’ll have to do those 6 screws one at a time again. Test the window before going further to make sure it works. Before securing the screws that hold the panel to the body (via the handle), you need to wiggle the door card around and make sure the striker plate will cover the edge of the card perfectly. THEN you can secure the screws.

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
As shared in the “what did you do to your 126”, I got all new leather and carpeting from GAHH. It’s amazing. Still have to put everything back together which is a massive task

Last nite, I got the center console properly attached to the body and reinstalled the AC unit and those buttons/wood. Today, I tried to get the C panel trim snapped back into place but didn’t have any luck. When it’s this hot, I limit attempts to about 20 minutes before giving up. I tried to operate the motor in the rear window screen (so I can re-attach the black tube that it slides on), but it didn’t seem to work. Battery is pretty low and I still have the buttons off for the shifter console- having those off prevents the windows from working. I think it might be the same case here because the motor was working great and is connected

Radio is back in and wired perfectly. Cleaned up some cabling with cable ties. Definitely getting there- but it’ll take another week or two to sort everything out

121 - 128 of 128 Posts