Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1984 300D
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out working on the headlights this afternoon. I ran the engine for awhile and then shut it down. After shutdown, I am hearing a faint clicking sound from the area back of the engine. It almost sounds like a circuit breaker clicking on and off, but I can't find anything in that area that would do that. I disconnected the headlights just in case, but that did not make any difference. Anybody experience this? Normal?

·
Registered
1985 California 300 D Turbo Diesel and '85 Federal 300D Turbo Diesel. '84 Cali 300D - SOLD
360 Posts
I was out working on the headlights this afternoon. I ran the engine for awhile and then shut it down. After shutdown, I am hearing a faint clicking sound from the area back of the engine. It almost sounds like a circuit breaker clicking on and off, but I can't find anything in that area that would do that. I disconnected the headlights just in case, but that did not make any difference. Anybody experience this? Normal?
Mine did that. Turns out it was the alarm going off and the horn for the alarm was bad - it just clicked.

·
Registered
1984 300D
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Exhaust manifold or heat shield contracting?
That's what I thought at first, but I didn't run it very long, and it was a different sound than that of sheet metal. It quit now, so I don't know what to think.

·
Registered
1984 300D
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine did that. Turns out it was the alarm going off and the horn for the alarm was bad - it just clicked.
I haven't had this car very long, so I suppose it could have an alarm system installed, but I haven't seen any evidence of one, and the previous owner didn't mention it either. The clicking quit. I'll see if it does it every time I shut it down.

·
Registered
1985 California 300 D Turbo Diesel and '85 Federal 300D Turbo Diesel. '84 Cali 300D - SOLD
360 Posts
I haven't had this car very long, so I suppose it could have an alarm system installed, but I haven't seen any evidence of one, and the previous owner didn't mention it either. The clicking quit. I'll see if it does it every time I shut it down.
I didn't know mine had one either, nor did the PO.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Any time I open my doors, hood, trunk, or even instrument cluster I hear a clicking just like the turn signal click for about 10-15 seconds. They all have a push button just like the door jamb switch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts