Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 SLK230
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello SLK masters.. Anyone had problems with their clearcoat or paint?? I was surprised to find that my clearcoat has about a quartersize whole in it on my roof.. Any suggestions how to remedy this or I am to only resort in a new paint job advise welcomed!! :D

I put some protection in the form of wax but it looks like the whole will just continue to grow across the roof.. Ugh, sounds expensive...:crybaby2:

Thanks in advance folks!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2002 SLK320 Magna Red Automatic
30 Posts
The problem sounds like "clearcoast delamination".. simply said--the clear coast has begun to seperate from the base or color coat.

Many times a small chip will allow moisture to get under the clear coat; then expansion and contraction come nto play.

Do not hesitate and you can probably get the problem corrected by aplying a full coat of clear coat to the problem body panel. If you dally and let the base coat fail, the panel will have to be stripped completely and a base and clear coat applied---more expensive but if $$$$ are not the critical issue--it is the way to go in either case.

·
Registered
2012 SLK350
405 Posts
So it is true that CA gets Acid rains ....
Yes, I was going to suggest chemical damage. Anything from hydraulic fluid to bird poop.

·
Registered
2002 SLK230
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The problem sounds like "clearcoast delamination".. simply said--the clear coast has begun to seperate from the base or color coat.

Many times a small chip will allow moisture to get under the clear coat; then expansion and contraction come nto play.

Do not hesitate and you can probably get the problem corrected by aplying a full coat of clear coat to the problem body panel. If you dally and let the base coat fail, the panel will have to be stripped completely and a base and clear coat applied---more expensive but if $$$$ are not the critical issue--it is the way to go in either case.
It is weird how this came out of nowhere.. Granted I bought the car with 54K miles and there was no sign of clearcoat issues. I am super anal and was the car everyweek.. I am really saddened:surrender: by this on my roof and am seeing it spread. Please tell me more about "applying clearcoat" is this something I can do or do I have to go to a shop? Thanks again..

·
Registered
2002 SLK 320 - Magma Red
91 Posts
You have a great ride--keep that way--have a professional shop, unless you have the talent and tools, look into it--the roof is a rather small pannel and with it being a detachable panel as such--it can be rahter easily isolated for a great refinish--

The reason I suggest you get after it--is to keep the cost down and maybe not having to chemicaly strip the entire panel, reapply base color coat and then clear coat. At this stage you may get by with a sand down and reclear.

Find shop that will use rubber seal lifting devices so that you do not have the dreaded tape line which can and will in a few years lead to more delamination issues on the affected panel.

Look around on line and you will find many site for refinishing techniques--the more you know going into the project the better the end results.

·
Registered
SLK 320 BRABUS Modded
2,398 Posts
probs bird poo, you need to wash it off asap if you see it on your paint.

Get it to the shop and get it flatted and cleared.

·
Registered
2002 SLK230
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You have a great ride--keep that way--have a professional shop, unless you have the talent and tools, look into it--the roof is a rather small pannel and with it being a detachable panel as such--it can be rahter easily isolated for a great refinish--

The reason I suggest you get after it--is to keep the cost down and maybe not having to chemicaly strip the entire panel, reapply base color coat and then clear coat. At this stage you may get by with a sand down and reclear.

Find shop that will use rubber seal lifting devices so that you do not have the dreaded tape line which can and will in a few years lead to more delamination issues on the affected panel.

Look around on line and you will find many site for refinishing techniques--the more you know going into the project the better the end results.
Ok good points thank you.

·
Registered
1999 SLK230 Kompressor
332 Posts
I have the same peeling clearcoat problem, but decided to wait and have the entire car painted eventually. I can live with it for now since it is more of an aesthetic/cosmetic issue. I have bigger fish to fry: new shocks all around (going with KYB's); brake fluid flush + install Goodridge stainless steel lines; new front tires Kumho ASX; power steering fluid change (has never been done, so fluid is 10 yrs old - not good); 2nd tranny fluid flush. There, that just about covers it for now. Happy motoring!!

·
Registered
2002 SLK230
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the same peeling clearcoat problem, but decided to wait and have the entire car painted eventually. I can live with it for now since it is more of an aesthetic/cosmetic issue. I have bigger fish to fry: new shocks all around (going with KYB's); brake fluid flush + install Goodridge stainless steel lines; new front tires Kumho ASX; power steering fluid change (has never been done, so fluid is 10 yrs old - not good); 2nd tranny fluid flush. There, that just about covers it for now. Happy motoring!!
Is it widespread or only on the roof of your car as well? The initial estimate is $400. I too want to wait but wonder how bad it will get before I cannot take it anymore and get er done..

Good luck with your repairs sounds like you have quite a few to do :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.