Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 sl 500 launch edition
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 2003 sl500 for the wife. It has higher mileage than I would have liked, but hope I got a good deal on it. Waiting on delivery. Any suggests for car care products? I was wondering about cleaning the Ventilated seat in particular. Didn’t want to stop up the holes with a leather paste product. It also has a little "butt rash" along the bottom edge of the side bolster from getting in and out. It’s the black designo, I was wondering if a little dye might hide some of it.

!!g29s3gEGE~$(KGrHqUOKkUEztQuB6PhBNBto,sY-Q~~_4.jpg

!!g29s3QCWE~$(KGrHqQOKkIEzJYk9)nuBNBtoYitl!~~_4.jpg

·
Registered
Several MB's
352 Posts
Got a 2003 sl500 for the wife. It has higher mileage than I would have liked, but hope I got a good deal on it. Waiting on delivery. Any suggests for car care products? I was wondering about cleaning the Ventilated seat in particular. Didn’t want to stop up the holes with a leather paste product. It also has a little "butt rash" along the bottom edge of the side bolster from getting in and out. It’s the black designo, I was wondering if a little dye might hide some of it.

View attachment 348060

View attachment 348061
Leatherique products will give you the consistency that will work on the ventillated seatsand will not clog the holes. I have also used the dyes that they sell and they are terrific. From your photos the dye will do a great job on hiding the scuffs. You will have to send a sample for them to get a perfect match. On an earlier SL I sent them one of my headrests since I could not find a place to get a one inch square sample. Good luck

·
Registered
65 Posts
Be sure to apply any product to a towel and not directly on the perforated leather or you will have problems.

We have an excellent Leather Cleaner as well as an excellent Leather Conditioner, available at Ace Hardware stores in the U.S., other fine automotive retailers, and online.

You likely will need to dye or refinish the abraded areas on the side bolster, or have a qualified shop replace that panel.

·
Registered
341 Posts

As you have a water-based pigmentation on the finished leather surface I would suggest a water-based cleaner

Type I a - Perforated (Nappa) Leather

Perforated leather (A-Aniline // Non-Coated) – for leather used in autos, Nappa is a term that is used to denote a high quality finished leather; it’s a very soft, absorbent full grain (uncoated) and usually tanned with alum and chromium salts and dyed throughout. Use a water-based product to ensure that the perforations do not become blocked

Identifying characteristics - It is highly absorbent and has a random shade colours and grain pattern.

The water-drop absorbency test- water drops will darken the surface, but it returns to its original colour after drying.

Absorbency rate -Medium

The advantage of foam over liquid is the minimum amount of moisture, very important for cleaning absorbent and moisture sensitive (Aniline, including perforate) leathers. Leather Master™ Foam Cleaner is a solvent free pump action product, which is extremely efficient for the cleaning of general soiling and water based stains.

Use a synthetic sponge with a gentle, circular motion – do not rub the leather or apply extreme pressure when cleaning. A foam type cleaner is the most efficient and safest upholstery cleaner as the foam contains a surfactant that encapsulates the dirt and this can then removed by a micro fibre towel.

Start at the top of the area you are cleaning and wipe the area with the sponge using circular motions; do not scrub the leather or apply extreme pressure when cleaning. Work your way from the top of the area to the bottom. Apply medium pressure. When you reach the bottom, rinse with a wet micro fibre towel until all residues has been removed. Squeeze excess water out of the cloth before you rinse off the leather. Buff dry surface with a clean micro fibre towel

For heavily soiled areas, or where the leather has become engrained with creases in the leather, a soft brush can be used to agitate and loosen the dirt (Swissvax Leather Brush)

Protection- to ensure the leather remains soft and supple apply Leather Masters Soft Touch and allow to dry. And then apply Leather Masters Protection Cream with a dry micro fibre towel and allow to dry

·
Premium Member
2008 C300 4Matic Luxury
33 Posts
ther dye from my black coat has gotten on my tan ventelated seats and I have no idea how to clean it. Anyone have an idea? I have tried numerous cleaners with no luck

·
Registered
341 Posts
Dye Transfer

Dye transfer (from jeans, leather belts, etc) can be very difficult to remove; the longer it is on the leather the harder it will be to remove. Clothing dye normally shows as a greyish bloom in seat area. This is usually caused by dark dye transferring from clothing. Particularly avoid brand new (i.e. never been washed) denim jeans, damp knitwear etc use

Is a common problem on lighter coloured Aniline leathers; on this type of leather anything that is allowed to permeate the leather may stain it permanently as it is not possible to clean out of leather.

Do not allow liquid to soak or ‘heat set’ into the leather, the longer dye transfer remains on the leather the harder it becomes to remove as the dye keeps permeating the finish on the leather. Once the dye has permeated the surface it can be very difficult to remove, but this can be avoided by regular cleaning and the use of a protector. The transferred dye will ‘sit’ on top of the protection and can then be cleaned off by regular cleaning.

If the dye has permeated then the finish should be softened to help release the dye (Leather Master Soft Touch) Using a strong solvent on leather that has a stain or dye transfer will do two things; cause the dye to ‘bleed’ further into the surface making it even more difficult to remove, and it may damage the finish requiring replacement.

As always with stain removal; start with the least invasive first.

• Leather Master Rapid S Cleaner (A-Aniline / Non-Coated) (P-Protected / Coated) is a concentrated cleaner specifically designed for automotive leather (including Nappa and Perforated) that have accumulated dirt, soil, and dye transfer and suntan or body oils.
• Isopropyl alcohol (IPA)
• A 1:1 solvent / detergent solution; d-limonene based (citrus) solvent (P21S® Total Auto Wash) and a slightly alkaline detergent.

If you have tried appropriate leather cleaning products with no success it does not mean that the products do not work simply that the problem is not a 'cleaning' one and the dye transfer is more severe or has been on too long.

The surface may require re-colouring with a very light pigment coating applied to recolor. This would not require a full recolor as long as you had a pigment that matched the leather.

·
Registered
05 E320 CDI, Formerly 96 E300 Diesel and 98 E300 Turbodiesel
40 Posts
There are two companies that you can get some coating (dye) from that are OEM suppliers to the tanneries. First is Refinish Coatings and the second is LRT. They both carry pre-matched colors.
Home
For LRT call Jon Latronica at 215-536-0625.

Dye transfer is a pain. If a regular cleaner doesn't work, then you have to try a solvent like alcohol. I would dilute it about 50%. Unfortunately, at this stage you usually have to refinish the damaged area.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts