Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
5,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not on my mercedes but since this topic comes up a bit I thought I would share what I tried.

They were not too bad to begin with but could still use a bit of cleaning. They were looking a bit hazy. I did not take a close up "before" picture. I used the 3M kit before (last year) but what I did today came out looking better.

I started by wet sanding with 1500 and then 2000 grit. I could have used a bit courser but it is what it is. I also considered removing the headlights but then had to figure a way to secure them when machining.

Taped around the lights.

Machined with Meguires M105 and a medium cutting pad. Careful as to not get past the tape and onto the paint. Wiped clean.

Machined with Meguires M205 and another medium cutting pad. Again careful as to not get past the paint. Wiped clean.

I used a buffer and Meguires mirror glaze #7. Removed the tape and wiped everything down.

Applied a sealer. I want to give the sealer time to dry completely so I am planning on washing the car tomorrow.

Overall, I am pleased with the results. The whole thing took about 30 minutes or so.

Attachments

·
Registered
341 Posts
Removing oxidation or scratches from vehicle headlights or brake lights (also polycarbonate) also removes the OEM ultra violet protection, which prematurely decreases the durability of the lens. Surfaces that have yellowed are a sign that the ultra violet (UV) sacrificial coating has failed and must be resurfaced and recoated.

“Headlight Restoration” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia-detailing-wiki/141706-headlight-restoration.html#post1506615

I hope the information in this article is of some help to you. If you have any further questions please let me know

·
Registered
2000 E320 Sedan 4Matic
14 Posts
The best DIY kit available by far is the Sylvania (Osram) kit because it includes a bottle of UV-block clear coat to apply at the very end.

This makes the lens clearer and prevents further damage from UV. Only about $20 on Ebay

·
Registered
2000 Merc. E320 4matic Wagon 210.282 Desert Silver
827 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts