Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1998 W140 S320LWB 65k miles
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, A few days ago I had a head gasket failure causing over heat of the engine. Coolant and engine oil leaked a lot when it happened. Now head gasket is replaced and got the car back, but it has really bad burned oil smells after driving....

Since a lot of m104 engines had oil leak/overheating problem and thus I am asking people what they do to clean it up?

My mechanics suggest I had it steamed cleaned, but I am wondering if I can do it myself. He also warned not to spay water directly on the engine cover, since water accumulation could short the coil springs, and that's $600 repairs..... so advices please.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
'84 300DT, '97 S320
682 Posts
After mine was fixed, like yours, there was still some oil residue here and there.

Anyway, most of it was mostly on the right-rear block on the side, and top of the transmission housing. I think they wiped off the block and trans somewhat - I asked them to. There was also some on the exhaust pipes down by the transmission, where it had "hardened". I could still smell oil cooking.

I used WD-40 to remove it from the exhaust pipes (cooled off), and rubbed hard. I think I also used a Dremel w/ wire brush. The smell went away, so I've not tried removing any more areas. I think the pipes would be the worst place to have the oil leak. The trans housing has to be a little cooler, but you'd think the non-pipe spots would be hot enough to smell just as bad. I need to re-check those areas.

·
3phase-4pole
4,883 Posts
most likely the smell youre getting is oil burning on the exhaust pipes. wash the exhaust pipes underneath up to where you can see traces of oil

·
Registered
1993 190E 2.6, 1990 300SEL, 1992 300SE, 1992 400E, 1987 190E 2.6 murdered by my brother.
1,291 Posts
Use Brake cleaner like G said. I just squirted a lot of WD 40 on my exhaust manifolds bolts on my engine rebuild for my 190E. When i fired up the car after it was done, I got this nasty weird burning smell....guess what? It was because of my over use of WD40. It took over an hour for it to burn off and it was flammable. Brake cleaner is safer to use and it wont start a fire. It was scary as I had white smoke coming out of the hood and when I opened the hood - smoke was everywhere....it smelled nasty.

Lesson learned for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts