Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 s280
43 Posts
Hi Pete,

Have you ever removed the rear lenses and reflector surrounding the trunk lock? Would be interested if you have any pointers....great site by the way!

Keep up the great work!

Ronan

·
Registered
1995 S600 (sold)
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your kind words! I haven't removed the rear lense assemblies, but I did replace the center reflector assembly. The original one had a crack in it right down the middle. Moisture was getting in there and fogging up the clear window for the IR remote. Unfortunately, after a year, the replacement reflector has also cracked right down the middle.

It's not difficult to remove the reflector. You have to remove the trunk lining directly behind the reflector, as well as the plastic trim pieces around the trunk opening and inside trim pieces. There are plastic fasteners that act like the removable rivets used in other areas of the car. Pull out the inner section of each fastener, and you will be able to get the trim off. The reflector is held on by several nuts, all easily reached once the trim pieces are removed.

·
Registered
2010 W212 E550 AMG (Before that: 2001 W220 - S430; and before that: 1995 W140 - S420 )
81 Posts
Hi,

I've noticed that my rear reflector has water in it. Before I start pulling the trunk trim apart to get at it, is their a seal or gasket that I will need to buy for this? Or should I just pull it off, clean it up, and put it back with a silcone sealant?

Has anyone done this?

What would you recommend?

·
Registered
1995 S500
99 Posts
Hi - I did the rear reflector...it is easy...you reach the small (8mm, I think) nuts from inside the trunk. Careful, they like to fall into deep crevaces where you can see them but not get to them with your fingers.

Anyway, if you have water collecting in the center - replace that reflector bar immediately, my car's prior owner did not do that and I had a nasty rust spot that had to be cut out and repainted.

EZ to do. I got the part at the stealer for about $60 I bet you could find it online for $30.

Good luck!

GM

PS if you are taking the lenses off to clean, you can put new ones on for only $44 each from AutoHausAZ....just did it, really improves the headlight range

1 - 5 of 5 Posts