Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,<br> <br> The engine compartment on my clk430 is dirty and I would like to clean it. There is mostly dust, dirt and dead insects in the engine compatment. There are many produtcs available to clean the engine compartment, but I am not sure which one to use.<br> <br> Question:<br> 1. Has anybody had success with a sepcific brand of engine cleaning solution?<br> 2. What parts in the engine compartment need to be covered up with plastic while I am cleaning?<br> <br> thanks<br> <br> Sunit

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I wash down my engine and engine compartment every time I wash my car. I use Dawn Dishwashing Liquid in a small pail of hot water. I pour the soapy water on,wipe down where I can get at and what needs cleaning with a soft sponge and then rinse. I have never had a problem starting the car after washing down the engine. Just don't start washing down a hot engine.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi I´m from Germany and had the same question.<br>
Be carefull to use water!!<br>
i killed several parts of the electric in my former<br>
E320 by using high pressure water shower and common cleaning soaps.<br>
<br>
it is useless to cover the electric parts, because they are everywhere. In my W208 CLK I take only a wet towel and clean part by part. Needs more time, but is cheaper than a visit by DC<br>
<br>
Thomas

·
Banned
2006 S500, 2003 ML350, 1996 C280 (Previously 2002 CLK320, 1995 C220, 1980 300SD TurboDiesel)
2,670 Posts
I've always been afraid to do this. I think this weekend I am just going to take a toothbrush, some simple green and a bunch of shop towels to my engine bay.

Destroying a bunch of electrical equipment from CLEANING (with ignition coils at 150 a piece) would make me feel so stupid it's not funny.

·
Registered
1999 CLK 430 ,Silver/Ash, Daily Driver
366 Posts
Hi guys.. I use a can of "Engine Bright">

that can be bought for less than $3 in any parts store. I spray the whole engine compartment with the stuff ON A COLD motor. I then rinse it off
with a normal low pressure hose. I never spray the water directly where the coils are but just rinse that area lightly. NEVER use a pressure washer on an engine or mororcycle. A large paint brush helps in getting the gritty areas .
Wipe as much of the engine area and let dry. I then spray a tire shine product all over the compartment and then wipe down one more time !! Looks better than new..
Ein sauberes Motor laeuft besser und kuehler !

·
Registered
2002 CLK 430 & 2001.5 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax EC/LB LB7
356 Posts
Engine Brite is great you guys! Just make sure that the engine is NOT HOT!!! The can says to have the engine just a bit warm, but NOT HOT!!!! This product works very good and once you have it cleaned out you should clean out the engine compartment on a regular basis (like every 3 or 4 times you clean the outside.)

Just my personal opinion from my experiences with this.

-Zack

·
Banned
04 SL500 / 06 ML 500
2,004 Posts
There Is Hope!

:surrender:Engine Brite is highly caustic. It'll eat the adhesive under any stickers an' any unfinished or natural aluminum turns white; even when cold. You might get away with once or twice but your car will look like crap. Any petroleum based cleaner is eventually gonna' wreck the plastic and dull the painted parts. Think in terms of paint thinners. The longer you let it sit(even cold) the deeper the damage. Damage can be done by drying leftover(even diluted) petroleum cleaners as the motor warms up.

A Kosher bare metal/paint cleaner is a diluted (real car wash) mixture of a car wash 20% and a Citrus based oil cleaner 20% with water, sprayed on hosed off.
Actual cleaning of really greasy, dirty crap I use an electric pressure washer on fine with 20-30% power, engine cold. I've done this for over 10yrs. and no problems. No scratches, Takes off baked on crud, grease, stuck on road debris. Has never hurt paint or electrical. Trick is to spray lightly and at an angle. Some things like exposed intakes or distributors you cover with a garbage bag.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My thoughts have always been that your engine gets wet when it rains.
With engine off..and key far away from vehicle...(keyless go)
I keep the engines in my cars clean with a mild mixture of degreaser in a spray bottle a rag.
If car was really bad.
disconnected battery
sprayed degreaser in engine compartment
then low pressure hose
degreaser with rag
low pressure hose
repeat.
let car sit for 30 minutes while i do some other cleaning.
reconnect battery when car is totally dry.
and start.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts