Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
SL320, 300e, 450SL
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stock pipe is going back on and it developed a little surface rust while in storage. What do you recommend to clean it to match the rest of the system?
Thanks, BC

·
Registered
6 Posts
If the rust is very light, I would try any brand of metal polish, or wadding polish from an auto parts store. If it's more stubborn than than, maybe some 800 grit sandpaper. Try to stay away from wire brushes as they may scratch the surface too deep.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
If the rust is only skin deep and not "bubbles" within the skin then use "Never Dull" on it. I use it for all types of exhuast systems, tips, mufflers etc. It works great. Be sure to let it sit for a few minutes on the COOL metal before buffin it off. Good Luck !

·
Registered
2003 SL500 AMG
83 Posts
if they are chrome tips try this: take some regular aluminium foil...and use the DULL side to buff it out...this has worked for me on old cragar ss wheels...but as always...try on a hidden area

·
Registered
'00 E55, '88 BMW 535I
59 Posts
Tarmac Terror and Xero are right on target. If it's light surface rust on stainless (which is possible) then polish is probably your best bet. If it is deeper and you need to use fine grit steel wool, always follow up with the stainless steel polish to make sure you won't just form that corrosion again in a short while.

If it's Chrome light surface rust can be handled with aluminum foil (crumpling the foil helps sometimes too) the aluminum is softer than chrome but harder than rust. Then follow up with Chrome polish specifically. Chrome is thin, If you're getting pitting or deep rust you may need to get it replated. A small to medium size part shouldn't cost too much and you can just bring it to your local plating shop.

·
Premium Member
1999 SLK230 Sport
2,713 Posts
I would never use steel wool on stainless. You can contaminate the surface of the stainless with ferritic steel residue which will induce more rust later on.

·
Registered
'00 E55, '88 BMW 535I
59 Posts
Oops, sorry... steel wool would be bad, but synthetic steel wool should be acceptable. I'm doubting this part is going to be passivated but that's how I would finish things off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts