Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1999 SL500 Sport, Black Opal Pearl, Helios Leather, Pano roof, AMG Aero2 18"Split Rims, Rear Seats
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In response to a PM
To do a proper job you will need to remove the cloth from the cover.
The lower grill is easy to remove but the upper ones need to be removed by melting the glue holding them on on the inside of the door card. This obviously means removing the door card.
Once removed the cloth can be peeled away from where it is glued around the edges.
I washed mine in household washing powder with great results. Dry them flat then re-glue to the grills and refit to door card.
I am sure you could easily change the fabric if wanted.

Here is the link to my pics. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/2514779-post139.html

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
From a PM I received.

harley03joe said:
Next Question What Are Folks doing With The Speaker Cloth Covers On The Inside Of The Doors Top And Bottem Where Your Foot Hits It Every Time You Get Out Of The Car

Here Are A Few Pics Of Them

I don't see any problem with your black covers like those of a liter colored cars.

But, after an 'Advanced Search>Speaker cover', if you want to remove and clean please see http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1264468-speaker-covers-99-sl.html and feel free to contribute your thoughts so that ' wayneg ' will come back with additional help from OZ as he has a beautiful RHD car with a very lite cream colored interior.

BTW, you gotta love those transplants from the UK to the West Coast of OZ. Wayne, please point us to a picture of your car in the R129 photos thread. And say Hi to my Auntie Bernice if you see her around the barbie or at the local pub. :)

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6 (SOLD) 2012 E 350CDI Cabrio 265 PS
4,544 Posts
My SL had the saffron-java interior and I used Mr Clean stuff on a rag to clean the grills directly on the car without removing them. Ok it's not a 5 minutes job but not too much of a headache.
Just a little of elbow grease :).

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
1996 S-500 white
1,767 Posts
From a PM I received.

I don't see any problem with your black covers like those of a liter colored cars.

But, after an 'Advanced Search>Speaker cover', if you want to remove and clean please see http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1264468-speaker-covers-99-sl.html and feel free to contribute your thoughts so that ' wayneg ' will come back with additional help from OZ as he has a beautiful RHD car with a very lite cream colored interior.

BTW, you gotta love those transplants from the UK to the West Coast of OZ. Wayne, please point us to a picture of your car in the R129 photos thread. And say Hi to my Auntie Bernice if you see her around the barbie or at the local pub. :)
Ok Im All Set Now I Used Mr Clean Magic Eraser Worked Very Very Well And I Took Noting Apart
Happy Camper Now :thumbsup:

Here Some Before And After Pics
Joe :Smoker:

BEFORE

AFTER

·
Registered
1999 SL500 Sport, Black Opal Pearl, Helios Leather, Pano roof, AMG Aero2 18"Split Rims, Rear Seats
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice job, mine were in a much worse state and had stated to peel away from the plastic backing in parts. Now you have to make sure nobody scuffs them again, I think there is a whole thread on the subject with rules of entry. I seem to recall a double heel click entry system employed by some.

·
Premium Member
1996 S-500 white
1,767 Posts
Nice job, mine were in a much worse state and had stated to peel away from the plastic backing in parts. Now you have to make sure nobody scuffs them again, I think there is a whole thread on the subject with rules of entry. I seem to recall a double heel click entry system employed by some.
Thank You Thank You
Now That Is Funny A Double Heel Click Ha Ha Ha ,,
Thats Like The Hitler Salute.. I Say Funny Because It Is A German Car Ha Ha

Ok Let Me See If I Got This Right,, Before I Get In My German Car I Give It The Hitler Salute RIGHT ???? :D

P.S. When I Get Heel Marks On My Harley Pipes I Use Oven Cleaner :thumbsup:

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
12,187 Posts
No. we have to be political correct now a days, so the guy with the mustache is out.
This heel clicking is more likes the Wizard of Oz thing. You have to make a wish every time before you enter the cars, hoping the hydraulic doesn't leak.

·
Premium Member
1996 S-500 white
1,767 Posts
No. That is the Wizard of Oz thing. You have to make a wish every time before you enter the cars, hoping the hydraulic doesn't leak.
What Hydraulic My Car Is 2002 It Better Not Start Leaking, Or I'LL Trade It For A FORD Ha Ha

GOT MY AIG BONUS

·
Premium Member
1996 S-500 white
1,767 Posts

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
9,093 Posts
Re. the scuffing marks, they show up too on a car with a black interior. The same mud or whatever that shows dark on white interior shows as light streaks on a black interior.
I usually wait for quite a few to build up on my '98 SL500 before cleaning, a soft brush gets most of it off and then a thorough clean with a sponge and soapy water.

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,603 Posts
You know Joe that thing about trading the Mercedes for a Ford.
You speak a lot of the devil.
He may decide to give you a visit, when you list expect it................

That thing about the wife buying you a new car, may have expired
long time a go, and you don't know it.

Think about it, don't push your luck. LOL.

Regards.
aam.

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
I Used a Mr Clean Magic Eraser and it Worked Very Very Well And I Took Noting Apart
For those of you that have not been introduced to the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser by your wife or vice versa. This is a handy product, and should be a part of your Detail Kit. They are easley purchased in most food markets in the household department.

The first time I used one of these was after I had washed my car. I noticed little black carbon deposits, from the old brakes, on my AMG polished wheel lip. My wife suggested that I dampened one of her Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sponges and rub the polished area lightly and easily. There were NO minor or major scratches left behind and it easily cleaned my wheels and caused them to look much better. I then polished them with Wheel Wax.

·
Premium Member
1996 S-500 white
1,767 Posts
For those of you that have not been introduced to the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser by your wife or vice versa. This is a handy product, and should be a part of your Detail Kit. They are easley purchased in most food markets in the household department.

The first time I used one of these was after I had washed my car. I noticed little black carbon deposits, from the old brakes, on my AMG polished wheel lip. My wife suggested that I dampened one of her Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sponges and rub the polished area lightly and easily. There were NO minor or major scratches left behind and it easily cleaned my wheels and caused them to look much better. I then polished them with Wheel Wax.
Lynns:
Do You Think That The Mr Clean Magic Eraser Would Work On The Plastic Rear Windows On The Soft Top ??

·
Premium Member
1996 S-500 white
1,767 Posts
You know Joe that thing about trading the Mercedes for a Ford.
You speak a lot of the devil.
He may decide to give you a visit, when you list expect it................

That thing about the wife buying you a new car, may have expired
long time a go, and you don't know it.

Think about it, don't push your luck. LOL.

Regards.
aam.

You Know What AAM
YouMight Just Be Right :D

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
Lynns:
Do You Think That The Mr Clean Magic Eraser Would Work On The Plastic Rear Windows On The Soft Top ??
Joe
I'm not sure why you would want to use the Eraser on either of the two. Unless you have a lite gray top. If that's the case I'm probably not the one to help. Do a forum Search.

I would NOT use the Magic Eraser on the back plastic window. I would use Mothers Plastic Polish with a round polishing sponge, water dampened, in a circular motion, on 1/2 of the window them wipe it off with a dry soft micro-fiber towel. This may take several applications in order to bring it back to life. It's the inside of the window that is the most awkward and requires the most labor.

Best of luck!

·
Premium Member
1996 S-500 white
1,767 Posts
I'm not sure why you would want to use the Eraser on either of the two. Unless you have a lite gray top. If that's the case I'm probably not the one to help. Do a forum Search.

I would NOT use the Magic Eraser on the back plastic window. I would use Mothers Plastic Polish with a round polishing sponge, water dampened, in a circular motion, on 1/2 of the window them wipe it off with a dry soft micro-fiber towel. This may take several applications in order to bring it back to life. It's the inside of the window that is the most awkward and requires the most labor.

Best of luck!
Lynns
Thank You I'LL Try Mothers Plastic Polish On The Rear Plastic Windows
Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts