Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1983 W123 230TE
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I just picked up 1983 W123 230 TE last week. I'm new to this kind of car and how to look after them. I've identified a rattle as coming from my catalytic converter, and have been looking at how to stop it.

This blog post talks about adding lacquer thinning to the tank - is that recommended? I'm a little wary of starting to pour things into my engine!

If so, is this the right kind of stuff I need?

Apologies if this is a bit of a noob question - I'm at the beginning of this learning journey!

·
Registered
1983 W123 230TE
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers @plinker17722 . On closer inspection it seems the rattle is coming from the circled area, rather than the cat itself:

Anything I can do? Doesn't look like any of the bolts have loosened off

·
Registered
1983 W123 200T
324 Posts
Could be rust rattling inside the exhaust? Could be a loose exhaust heat shield?
I doubt your car has a catalyst to be honest.
I've just driven back from Somerset a few hours ago :) Very HOT!

I'm going to need to see lots of photos of this orange wagon!

·
Registered
.................... ~'84 300D~~~~~~~~ ~~'85 300TD~~~~~~~ ~~~W123(s) Galore~~~
794 Posts
Are the rubber exhaust hangers (3 of them) in place? If not, get the ones that are steel reinforced.

·
Registered
1984 Euro 300d four speed
420 Posts
No idea about your original question but yes we are going to need some pictures of that orange wagon. English red?

·
Registered
1983 W123 230TE
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could be rust rattling inside the exhaust? Could be a loose exhaust heat shield?
I doubt your car has a catalyst to be honest.
I've just driven back from Somerset a few hours ago :) Very HOT!

I'm going to need to see lots of photos of this orange wagon!
Is that not a catalytic converter on the left of my photo? Surely it must have one, otherwise it wouldn't pass emissions tests?

Will def post lots of photos if people would like! - I drove her up to Glasgow yesterday and she's looking good here too (official colour is Russet Brown - what a difference lighting makes):

·
Registered
.................... ~'84 300D~~~~~~~~ ~~'85 300TD~~~~~~~ ~~~W123(s) Galore~~~
794 Posts
I prefer the first one... it's reinforced.

Look at pic 03, you can see two (2) exhaust hangers... these would be on both sides @ the tail pipe.

Type "W123 Exhaust Hanger" into your search engine of choice...

Attachments

·
Registered
1983 W123 200T
324 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts