Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
SLK350 w/AMG SP; 2008 C300
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, What do you guys use to effectively clean the wheels of brake dust?

I've tried a basic wheel cleaner, but it didn't too good of a job. Ended up having to use a nylon scrub pad. This worked. However, the scrub pad is now black.

Any other methods?

Aloha,

Harry

·
Registered
SLK350
67 Posts
I just put on a glove and wipe it with a towel. Takes me less than 5 minutes for the whole car. It comes right off the amg 5 spoke wheels.

·
Registered
SLK 350 Launch Ed.
29 Posts
McGuires wheel cleaner does an excellent job. Keep the

wheel wet whan you wash it and hose off the brush. My brush looks nearly new after a year's use. Hosing off the brush keeps it clean.
Mel

·
Registered
138 Posts
Most wheels are painted so I say treat your wheels just like the rest of the painted surfaces on your car. Wash it each time you wash the car with ordinary car wash soap. Do it last so you don't contaminate the wash water.

Also, when you wax your car wax your wheels too and they will stay pretty clean like the rest of the car.

·
Registered
slk 55
366 Posts
I agree with Jakepratt. I have the AMG 16 spoke wheels, and my experience is that regular car soap and water along with a wash mit seems to work just fine. So far as preventing the dust from sticking in the first place, I had posted a couple of weeks ago regarding a product called Wheelwax, but no one seemed to be familiar with it. I was wondering if Wheelwax would really do a superior job, or if it was merely a marketing gimmick. Julien thought that using conventional wax was a waste of time, but I tried it anyway...sorry Julien :)...when I waxed my car last week, and IMO the wax helped prevent the dust from sticking to the wheel to some extent. I washed my car again over the weekend, and I thought the wax also made it easier to remove the dust that was there.

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
shark22 - 5/9/2005 8:32 AM
...and my experience is that regular car soap and water along with a wash mit seems to work just fine. So far as preventing the dust from sticking in the first place, I had posted a couple of weeks ago regarding a product called Wheelwax, but no one seemed to be familiar with it. I was wondering if Wheelwax would really do a superior job, or if it was merely a marketing gimmick. Julien thought that using conventional wax was a waste of time, but I tried it anyway...sorry Julien :)...when I waxed my car last week, and IMO the wax helped prevent the dust from sticking to the wheel to some extent. I washed my car again over the weekend, and I thought the wax also made it easier to remove the dust that was there.
Always use a separate bucket and mitt for the wheels. Never reuse the same mitt (or bucket) on the car once it is used on the wheels. It will always contain high amounts of abrasive brake dust. As I retire one mitt from the car wash duty it cycles next to the wheels.

Also put Zaino on the wheels and the dust will come off with a damp cotton towel (used only for this purpose) in between washings and unlike convectional wax it will last for months.

·
Registered
slk 55
366 Posts
Julien, great point on using a separate mitt, never thought of that, yikes! I was foolishly thinking that the mitt (permanently black from the brake dust) would not be an issue on my black car :) Snowball, who makes P21S Wheel cleaner, never heard of it.

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
shark22 - 5/9/2005 2:44 PM

Julien, great point on using a separate mitt, never thought of that, yikes! I was foolishly thinking that the mitt (permanently black from the brake dust) would not be an issue on my black car :) Snowball, who makes P21S Wheel cleaner, never heard of it.
P21S is the product line name. Their wax/cleaners and wheel cleaner are great. Their window cleaner is not very good. Try www.p21s.com.

·
Registered
R171 SLK200 2005
475 Posts
Julien - 5/9/2005 3:44 PM

Also put Zaino on the wheels and the dust will come off with a damp cotton towel (used only for this purpose) in between washings and unlike convectional wax it will last for months.
Excuse the daft question - it's dumb blond Friday here in work!! [;)]

Zanio on the wheels - do you mean the polish, or another one of their products??? [8)]

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Like was mentioned, treat the wheels like you would treat your car paint surface. They also have a clear coat on them.

I wash them down with a hose and some soapy water. Then I remove all the rest of the dirt with a soft towel to remove the rest of the brake dust. I added some Zaino/Finish First to the surface, and now brake dut is really easy to remove with just some water.

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
673 Posts
Shinigami - 5/13/2005 7:49 AM

I added some Zaino/Finish First to the surface, and now brake dut is really easy to remove with just some water.
Which Zaino product did you put on the wheels? Z2? Z6? Z8? ... and I wonder if it would matter.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
I used the reference "Zaino/Finish First". They're almost the same product, but Zaino is better known I guess. I actually have Finish First, and there's only one type of it so I put that on my rims.

I believe if you're using Zaino, you should be using the one meant for clear coats.

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
RonJeffries - 5/13/2005 9:44 AM

Which Zaino product did you put on the wheels? Z2? Z6? Z8? ... and I wonder if it would matter.
Z2 and yes it would matter. [;)]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts