Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 1984 190D I have has 200k miles of dirt in the carpets. There were aftermarket floor mats in the car, so there is very little actual wear on the original carpets, just dirt. Some edges of the carpet (most notably up under the brake pedal have pulled back and folded over.

How best to clean them?
Can they be completely removed and re-glued (what glue to use)?
If not completely, how to re-glue the folded over edges so they look nicer?

Thanks!!

AFARR

·
Registered
1985 190E 2.3 (Sold)
210 Posts
There should be products that clean carpets. Im not sure of any specific brands, but they do have them. You can use 3M trim adhesive to glue what you need back on.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I figured. Pulled both front seats out. Pulled up the carpets. Scrubbed them well with Simple Green and water. As I am in an apartment with no outside faucet, I took them individually into the shower and rinsed them clean. There was a TON of garbage in the car under the carpets, and the amount of stuff that came out of the carpets was amazing. They are now much better (except for some tar spots). Right now they are drying flat, and tomorrow back into the car.

AFARR

·
Registered
190E, 993
552 Posts
I used a furniture cleaner on my carpets. Its the samething as a household carpet/rug cleaner, except its used for smaller rugs/furniture where a normal carpet cleaner couldn't go. You use the extension hose instead of pushing it like a vacuum cleaner. It worked pretty good, got some of the 18yo dirt out.

·
Registered
1985 190D
105 Posts
The carpet in these cars, my 1985D, is a very high quality wool carpet, Finetuff or something similar. I got some replacement online, close to $100 a yard. I used resolve carpet cleaner and a stiff brush, soaked rinsed, repeat, repeat....the original looks just as good as the 8 month old replacement.

The point is, this high end carpet is made to last, and a good srcubbing will not hurt it.

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts
this is a good time to get rid of the multi piece carpets and find a wrecked car with the newer one piece rear carpet and install that.

·
Registered
2000 C230 Kompressor, 2005 Volvo S60 T5 AWD, 1992 190E 2.3 -Totaled
951 Posts
I own a small steam cleaner and I use resolve carpet cleaner on them and then the steam cleaner. I also have a vaccum and I use the hose with a motorized brush to help remove the dirt at the very bottom of the carpet.

A few weeks ago, I purchased custom weather tech floor mats that I use only for the winter to keep the road salt and dirt out of the carpets, they work very well.

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts
I own a small steam cleaner and I use resolve carpet cleaner on them and then the steam cleaner. I also have a vaccum and I use the hose with a motorized brush to help remove the dirt at the very bottom of the carpet.

A few weeks ago, I purchased custom weather tech floor mats that I use only for the winter to keep the road salt and dirt out of the carpets, they work very well.
The only difference is that u got the one piece rear carPet he's got the older 190 with the multi piece rear carpet with those the glue from either the horse hair pads or the carpet padding melt over time and get all over. I have a set of Oem 124 rubber mats that fit pretty well. I like the weather tech but the set I had for one of my other cars started to break at the edges for some reason.

·
Registered
93 190E 2.6; 82 300 SD Turbo
1,678 Posts
I second the Resolve powder stuff. That worked pretty well on my 190. I have the one piece carpet as well. I had my front seats out for some work and decided to clean up the carpet. I was pretty pleased with the results. Maybe next time I'll remove the whole thing and do a more thorough job, perhaps put some sound dampening stuff down too

·
IR MODERATOR
9,228 Posts
when i did the 87 and the 93 i just ripped the interior out carpet out, soaked the stains in degreaser scrubbed, power washed, shop vac out excess water, and sun dry

·
Registered
1991 2.3 8v Desert Taupe Metallic
183 Posts
Just did mine in a 1991 as well. Used a standard grocery store brand of carpet cleaner for the rear with a compatible spot remover ("high traffic area spot and stain remover") vacummed, scrubbed with brush, vacuumed and scrubbed again. Looks like new. On the fronts, in my car they just pull out, I used the Rug Doctor machine. same results, look like new. Not too time consuming, high return for low effort. Not counting all the time it took to take out/replace the seats, seat belts, trim pieces, etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts