Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK folks , I had a small accident in my 2006 E280 CDI W211 , they needed to replace the pax side HEAD LAMP unit . My problem is that now the other side looks dull .

Is it possible to take the unit apart and clean the inside of the circular lens ??

Thanks .

·
Registered
E350 4M 06
2,744 Posts
I was planning on doing the same thing, I believe that you have to bake it in the oven for a while, there were some threads on the subject a year or 2 ago, let me know if you find them.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My wife drives the 211 I post here about...I drive an e39 and mine is an 03 but this problem is huge on those cars. I have polished my lens with pretty good success. It takes time though - the more time, investment, and effort the better the result (naturally). 3M kits are regarded as some of the better ones, but if you search here you can find a ton of info on various types of refinishing. Granted its BMW, but the procedure is the same. FYI - sun seems to be the #1 cause of the yellowing.

Edit: its never going to look new, but a couple links:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=930893&highlight=headlight+polish

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1810792&highlight=headlight+polish

·
Registered
E350 4M 06
2,744 Posts
Thanks for the links, the results are impressive.
The round projector lens is whats hazy on one of my lights, I was planning on taking the headlight apart and try to clean it to make it match the other new light.

·
Registered
2012 E550 Iridium Silver
131 Posts
It is unlikely the projector lens itself has yellowed. Some projector lenses use a "fresnel-type" of shape that slightly softens the projector's light cutoff. Rather than spend hours trying to clean and buff your lenses, you can replace them for $25 with perfectly clear replacement lenses from these guys. 80% of the effort is related to R & R the headlight and bumper, 18% goes toward baking the headlights to R & R the outer plastic cover.

You will need to bake the whole light housing in the oven to gain access to the lens. Although you can remove the projector from the back, without baking, you can not remove the shroud around the lens which is a chromed plastic donut that fits around the projector lens.

Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is unlikely the projector lens itself has yellowed. Some projector lenses use a "fresnel-type" of shape that slightly softens the projector's light cutoff. Rather than spend hours trying to clean and buff your lenses, you can replace them for $25 with perfectly clear replacement lenses from these guys. 80% of the effort is related to R & R the headlight and bumper, 18% goes toward baking the headlights to R & R the outer plastic cover.

You will need to bake the whole light housing in the oven to gain access to the lens. Although you can remove the projector from the back, without baking, you can not remove the shroud around the lens which is a chromed plastic donut that fits around the projector lens.

Mike
Do you have pics of your replaced headlight lenses?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts