Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents, I'm in the process of doing some routine maintenance to my 86 420SEL- replacing the Fuel Filter this week and wondering about the fuel check valves-

Are they Cleanable- if so how (just shoot 'em w. carb cleaner, or maybe a small ultrasonic machine?)

OR- are they just the kind of thing that has to be replaced and done with.

Also, since I'll be down around there, how easy is it to look over the fuel tank screen (and is this something that's worthwhile).

Thanks all!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Gents, I'm in the process of doing some routine maintenance to my 86 420SEL- replacing the Fuel Filter this week and wondering about the fuel check valves-

Are they Cleanable- if so how (just shoot 'em w. carb cleaner, or maybe a small ultrasonic machine?)

OR- are they just the kind of thing that has to be replaced and done with.

Also, since I'll be down around there, how easy is it to look over the fuel tank screen (and is this something that's worthwhile).

Thanks all!

My I ask you one thing? Why you want to disturb fuel check valves? Is your car difficult to start after sitting for few hours? I mean, changing fuel filter is alright. Don't forget to put new copper crush washers. Do not put old washer back in the fuel line and fuel filter. New fuel check valve are appx. 30 dollars a piece and you need two of them. It is better to replace them if they are bad rather than cleaning them. As for as Tank fuel screen if concern, slide down the rubber boot that is at the bottom of the tank. You will see 2 fuel lines going into the tank at the bottom. Small one is fuel return line and large one is fuel out line that goes to the fuel pump. Tank screen is in the fuel out line. You need to use 22mm open end wrench to unscrew the fuel out line nut. Then you need 47mm socket( May be 46mm some one here can confirm) to open the fuel tank nut to get to the screen. Not easy but can be done.

Alternate Method( easy but lengthy)

Remove the fuel pump completely.
Remove the fuel tank completely.

Renew both outside the car and put them back. In this way you can get the fuel tank clean professionally from inside also.

Sahai

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
I would wait until you replace your fuel pumps. When I replaced mine my fuel pumps came with new check valves.

·
Registered
229 Posts
quick question about fuel filter replacement. it it necessary to pull the whole unit i.e. filter, pumps etc or can the filter be changed without doing that. it looks like just a few screws and clamp down the fuel lines and the whole thing comes out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts