Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was a long time since i cleaned my 83 300d turbodiesel.

The other day i spent hours cleaning, waxing with maguiers gold class wax, chrome polish, the works !

I also sanded down the front valance and plan to paint it since it was getting faded and kind of rusty. Other than that the car looks incredible, the paint is great.

I just saw a picture of one of the cars of the month posted earlier on this forum and was astonished at the cleanliness of the engine bay.

Since my car will be sitting in the garage while I paint the valance, i want to detail the engine. I bought some engine degreaser but it barely worked and it left some nasty residue on some parts.

Any suggestions to engine cleaning?

Thank You

Carlos

G

·
clean with the high pressure blaster at the car wash, holding it right up close, till it strips everything off, nice and clean.............thats how i did mine.......

neat frontplate..........German, export tag (for exportation of vehicles only), registered to HansaStadt Bremen, and i suspect that was on the front of someones 924 Porsche when they had it shipped here...............

·
Registered
1987 560SL
164 Posts
Hi

I am all new to this. Its okay to spray water into the engine area and it will not damage anything under the hood?

Thanks

·
Registered
1982 240D, 1983 300D
210 Posts
I've used Simple Green on let it set and then spray it off at the car wash. That seems to work. I've also used Simple Green and then a light pad like what you use to scrap dirty dishes. I've used tougher pads, but the scratched the engine, so I don't do that anymore.

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
stay away from high pressure! older engines can take on water in bad places, and brittle wiring can be broken.

straight simple green via a spray bottle (or a garden sprayer that pumps up if you want to save your finger), patience, and high-volume low-pressure water.

repeat a couple of times. another old-school detailers trick underhood is WD-40

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
cashman said:
Make sure the engine isn't really hot
And with the cold water these days, make sure of this really well! Hot engine + cold water ruins the IP/injectors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts