Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
W221 - 2013 S550 Base M278
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone have knowledge of what product is best to clean and condition ventilated leather seats in an S550, as I don't want anything to damage whatever is behind the leather that ventilates the seats?

Will Swissvax work ? Their site says its for Napa Leather and does not say don't use on ventilated seats - I don't know what kind of leather Mercedes uses in the S Class in 2013

·
Registered
2008 ml350, 2009 s550
60 Posts
Does anyone have knowledge of what product is best to clean and condition ventilated leather seats in an S550?

Will Swissvax work ?
I have heard that woolite diluted with water. Check dallas detailing and paint correction on YouTube. For the ratio I use super clean 4:1 ratio.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Outstanding Contributor W221 Moderator
2010 E350 P1/P2, 2008 S550 Designo, 2002 ML320
2,602 Posts
I've never had a definitive answer to this question for our cars. For many years now the leather has been coated with a lacquer of sorts instead of dyed like you might find in a 1960's Rolls Royce. So really keeping it clean seems to be the trick. I've used Leatherique on Mercedes leather with great results, even restoring that soft showroom feel to them, but with these ventilated seats I'm concerned that I could be causing more problems than I'm solving with it.

Checking with the dealer, I heard; just keep them clean, use Hide Food, try this Meguiars stuff. So honestly the lack of a consensus has been a bit troubling. When I first took ownership of my Designo model with the 'leather everywhere' package, the seller's detailer had used something that made the inside of the car smell like crayons on a hot day, but man were the seats soft!

I would have to think a high end detailing shop has solved this but usually get distracted before I think to check. :p

Would love to hear what you find!

·
Registered
2011 ML350 4Matic
11 Posts
s550hollywood,
I'm glad you started this thread because I have been wondering the same thing. I have a 2012 that is new to me. Last time I was at the dealer I thought I would just buy some Mercedes Benz leather care product. However, I discovered there is no such thing. I just assumed there would be since BMW has their own specific leather care products. So, I ended up using the BMW product to tide me over until I figure out what I should really be using. I have some Leatherique which is supposed to be some pretty good stuff. I like to put that on fairly thick and then use saran wrap to allow it to absorb into the leather before drying out. I am not sure what that would do to all of the little holes. It does seem like the holes would allow whatever product you apply to get into the leather better than just putting on the surface of the leather and have it absorb through whatever coats the surface. I'm just not sure where it would go if it ran down through the holes and if it would gum something up.

Anxious to hear what others think.

·
Registered
W221 - 2013 S550 Base M278
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
s550hollywood,
I'm glad you started this thread because I have been wondering the same thing. I have a 2012 that is new to me. Last time I was at the dealer I thought I would just buy some Mercedes Benz leather care product. However, I discovered there is no such thing. I just assumed there would be since BMW has their own specific leather care products. So, I ended up using the BMW product to tide me over until I figure out what I should really be using. I have some Leatherique which is supposed to be some pretty good stuff. I like to put that on fairly thick and then use saran wrap to allow it to absorb into the leather before drying out. I am not sure what that would do to all of the little holes. It does seem like the holes would allow whatever product you apply to get into the leather better than just putting on the surface of the leather and have it absorb through whatever coats the surface. I'm just not sure where it would go if it ran down through the holes and if it would gum something up.

Anxious to hear what others think.
I haven't been able to get to a dealership to inquire about it because I bought my car in January just before the shut down. My seats look new and its a 2013, so apparently something has been done to keep them looking that way. Whomever owned the car before me kept it very nice, it looked brand new when I bought it so I figured I'd keep it that way but the small ventilating holes held me up from using something on it. I'm sure the dealer will know something.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had good results with leather honey cleaner and conditioner, I applied the cleaner onto a separate cloth first to avoid getting to much product into the seat and for the conditioner I used gloved hands to apply a thin coat, the perforations in the seat should help to allow conditioner to be absorbed into the seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
The number 1 thing you must do to care for leather is to keep it clean. This is much easier than most people assume.

In general cracks and lines are formed when the leather is dirty and abrades itself on the dirt when someone is sitting on it. A person sits down, the leather creases, and if it is dirty, the dirt simply gets rubbed back and forth, wearing the leather. No dirt, no abrasion.

The easiest way to clean your seats is simply a good microfiber that is a bit damp. A good microfiber has thousands of tiny fibers that are outstanding at getting into really small spaces, like the natural pores in leather.

So what makes a good microfiber? In general, new microfibers are always good, even if they're cheap. I know the detailer for the local exotic dealer and he simply uses Costco's microfibers because they're 40 cents a piece and they're pretty good. They only go on the paint when new, once washed they are used for other tasks. Microfibers that have been washed a few times are fine, but you must wash them properly - only with other synthetics. Wash them with a cotton just once and those tiny fibers will now be clogged up by the cotton fibers.

If you have stains that won't come out with a microfiber and water, or you want to condition your seats, I highly recommend leatherique. That stuff is everything they claim it is, it is just a bit time consuming to work with.

I've recently heard a you tube review say these seats are synthetic leather, guess thats why they still look new after 7 years. Guess I'll leave them alone.
MB Tex is a great synthetic vinyl, but it will be referred to as "MB Tex" in sales brochures and on the window sticker. Most of the S class vehicles have real leather of varying qualities.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.