1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Widebody SEC
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
claying the car is great.

but they charge a heck of alot of money for a piece of clay. [:(!]

does anyone know what type of clay is used for car detailing?

we should be able to pick it up at a hobby store or the like for a couple of bucks instead of $30.

i have been happy with the meguiar's or mothers and will continue to use them until a suitable sub is found.

·
Registered
2004 E55-1970 280SEC
2,026 Posts
$30? That's a lot, just buy the cheapest one, they're all the same.

·
Registered
2006 C230 WZ
257 Posts
I've used the Mothers clay, and to be hones I didn't like it all...

Its extremly hard and leaves a lot of residue on the paint (even if you use tons of lubricant), it's a nightmare to buff it off.

IMHO not recomedable at all.

·
Premium Member
1999 SLK230 Sport
2,713 Posts
hoopsmx - 7/27/2005 1:13 PM

I've used the Mothers clay, and to be hones I didn't like it all...

Its extremly hard and leaves a lot of residue on the paint (even if you use tons of lubricant), it's a nightmare to buff it off.

IMHO not recomedable at all.
I usually carry it in my pocket for a while before I use it to soften it up

·
Registered
1998 E300D
349 Posts
most body shop supply stores carry clay. My local place has Meguiar's (aggressive or mild). IIRC, it was less than $20.

·
Premium Member
1999 SLK230 Sport
2,713 Posts
amgbnz - 4/21/2005 3:08 PM

we should be able to pick it up at a hobby store or the like for a couple of bucks instead of $30.
The clay they sell at hobby stores is NOT what you want to use on your car. The clay for use with auto finishes is called "clay" but its more like hardened silly putty

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wanted to mention to the person who didn't like the Mother's clay: The clay is awesome. I use it all the time for all my cars especially my benz. You have to use
one of those minute detailers wax first after you wash your car and than rub the clay on the wet surface back and fourth and all the dirt comes right off without a residue. I wax it rigth after I clay it and it is awesome looking.

Try it again. You will get hooked to it after you see the results and of course feel it.

·
Registered
2008 CLK550, 2012 C300
573 Posts
Before using the clay bar split the bar into two pieces. Use one piece for each application. That way the second use of clay from a single package will be with fresh unused clay.

Soften the clay in a microwave oven. Just soften it don't melt it. 10-15 sec then test.

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
Meguiars clay is $10 list, don't pay more, and that includes a $5 bottle of their Quick Detailer. Like previously mentioned, break it in half and flatten in your hand until it's twice a big. Fold it in half when it starts getting dirty and flatten it back out to the full size and keep doing that. You should get a few cars done for one clay bar and you should only need to clay twice a year if you park indoors, maybe four times a year if you park outside. If you drop the clay it's not cleanable, throw it away or you will scratch your car. Use lots of detailing spray both on the car and on the bar.

·
Registered
Saab 9-3 aero
7 Posts
ClayBar tip: Cut ClayBar (like Zaino) in three pieces and reshape it, this way one hole bar will last longer

·
Registered
ML320/C320 Sprt
4,649 Posts
or once done using it put it in ziploc bag and store it that way it keep it pliable and soft.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts