Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Arctic White 560 SEC and 1990 Smoke Silver Metallic 560 SEC (formerly Cascade's)
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who here listens to classical music while driving their beautiful 126s?

I know my favorite music to listen to while driving (at legal speeds, of course) is Wagner, Brahms, Bruckner, Mahler....all of the late 19th century masters.

There has to be SOMEONE here who likes classical music...

I remember when I was little I always pictured a guy driving like the maniac on the autobahn, going 130mph+, all while listening to some nice Goldberg Variations (ala Hannibal the Cannibal).

out with it!

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Probably just you and me. I like the ‘old stuff,’ Beethoven, Mozart, and the Baroque composers. Mahler is one of my favorite ‘newer’ composers - Das Knaben Wunderhorn is a piece I enjoy.

Yes, driving a 126 while listing to German classical music is cool.

[8D]

·
Registered
1990 Arctic White 560 SEC and 1990 Smoke Silver Metallic 560 SEC (formerly Cascade's)
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
unfortunately, Becker 'Mexico' premium sound makes it difficult to enjoy the sonorities presented by Gustav, eh?

I cannot listen to Mozart, he is so geometric and...mathematical. Beethoven is[8D][:D] Especially the symphonies, piano concerti, and violin concerto.

P.S. Austrian music is pretty decent too :)

·
Registered
1990 560 SEL & 1995 E300D
459 Posts
If I want to obtain an oblivious state while driving my W126.....or any car for that matter.....I just slide in Bryan Adams' soundtrack to the movie "Don Juan DeMarco. I absolutely love that CD.

Gary

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,142 Posts
I love classical music.[:D]

Find it hard to listen in the car though, and it does not matter which car. The noisy environment, poor speaker placement, constrained space and acoustical "problems" (headrests, heads, seats, hard and soft surfaces, surface areas at all angles, etc.) kills the dynamic range and detail. Can't hear the quiet parts and the full orchestra will blow doors and windows open.[xx(]

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,270 Posts
The CHronic by Dr. Dre is a classic right??

·
Registered
1988 560SEL sold:
4,717 Posts
I like classical music[:)]

Classical discs I keep in the car:
Elgar's Cello Concerto E minor by Jacqueline DuPre (aka Jackie from the film Hilary and Jackie). Some say it might be more appropriate in a Jaguar...

Dvorak goes together quite well too - #9 New World Symphony - Kurt Masur/NY Phil. recording.

Brahms - Symphonies 1-4 Claudio Abbado conducting Berlin Phil.

Finlandia - Karajan conducting Berlin Phil. but perhaps I should look for a recording by Essa Pekka Salonen, a native boy.

There is something sublime and in the realm of John Woo or Stanley Kubrick when you're close to 100mph leaving everyone in the dust while listening to Bach - The Air on G String - or Pachelbel's Canon. Of course, you can opt out of surreal contrast and go with the "Ride of the Valkyries.

Also...
give 80's music a try too - it will bring back halcyon days for your W126 and in my case, myself.

Currently, I have Don Henley's "Sunset Grill" on repeat. I also recommend "Forever Young" by Alphaville.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
For cruising i'll play

John Mayer
Diana Krall
Norah Jones
and the local Jazz station

Otherwise the car is shaking to Ramnstein, Mo-do and various dance music.

·
Registered
'80 500SE AMG '80 300SD '78 450SLC '00 Passat GLX Wagon
1,155 Posts
Does Indian Classical Music count? I love listening to a nice raga while cruising but I'm not sure it's as much fun as speeding along to '80s experimental spacerock/psycho music (think early Sonic Youth, Chrome, F/i and any number of other bands no one here has probably ever listened to). Maybe this explains why chicks don't seem to dig the W126 in my case[:)]

Attachments

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
Andrew loyd weber, Bocelli, sarah brightman...when there's traffic.

Wagner...when there's little traffic...

·
Registered
500SE 1990
387 Posts
Mostly FM *Radio Classica* (Classical musik + Jazz)...
If CD - *Karma* *Delerium* (Kirsty Thirsk vokal ) etc...etc...

·
Registered
'80 500SE AMG '80 300SD '78 450SLC '00 Passat GLX Wagon
1,155 Posts
Benzonline - 3/22/2005 9:28 AM

wouldnt want to be driving with any of you guys....[8)]
In the car with us or on the road with us? Depending on what I'm listening to maybe the answer should be either[:)]

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, the way I see it; those of us with appreciation for W126's and classical music have the best things Germany ever produced :)[8D][8D][8D][8D]

Nothing beats barreling I-95 with Shosty 7 "Leningrad" blaring through the speakers. Makes for some mighty fine drivin'.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts