Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m wondering if the younger generation looks upon a w126 and sees an older cool classic car same way I would look at say w116 or the model before that.
To me w126 still feels recent. Because I grew up in that era, cars from that time will always feel recent to me. Same as my 92 Lincoln or my 96 XJ6. I know they are close to 30 years old but it doesn’t feel like it to me.

Do young people look at it different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm 27 and i definitely see it as a classic. The W140 to me is recent though.

My dad had a 1985 280SEL that he brought to Latvia from Germany in 1994, quite soon after the iron curtain fell and the borders with Europe opened. Back then, for everyone here it was some kind of space ship that nobody ever saw before. As soon as he drove off the ferry that carried the car, he was stopped by the Russian mafia that asked him if he would sell the car to them then and there, but he refused the offer (it was somewhere around 6000$ and that was huge money in post soviet era, you could literally buy 2 houses). So he drove it back home and showed it to my family. I was really young back then, so i didn't exactly understand what i was looking at, but it was a MASSIVE upgrade from the Lada that we had before it. It went like a ship, it had electric everything and it blew everyones minds. Everyone in the world had such amazing vehicles before the borders opened and we were stuck with a Lada at best. It was short lived however, the mafia would not let the car alone, there were multiple occasions when the car alarm would go off at the middle of the night, but thankfully my dad was always fast enough to scare them away. One day though, we went shopping at a local supermarket and that was the final day we saw the car. When we came back from shopping, it wasn't there anymore and the guards were in on it. Probably quickly driven to the Russian border with new plates and was sold in Moscow or something.

I was always a massive fan of the w126 since then, finally getting my own SEC recently that i'm restoring currenly. :>

·
Registered
46 Posts
If going by the books, the CA DMV defines a historical car as being at least 25 years old (MI DMV is at least 26). The AACA defines a vehicle over 25 years old as classic, while Hagerty calls 1979 or older to be antique or classic, although it considers some 80s and 90s cars as collectible.

In the mid 90s, I already considered my '66 Mustang as a classic since it was 30 years old; its V8 sound was beautiful and the shape of the body was also beautiful (which BTW I think beauty to the eye of the beholder, and not just historically intrinsic values, also plays a role of defining a classic car).

Today my '91 Nissan 240sx is nearly 30 years old and is considered a Japanese classic to the young millennial generation whenever I talk to them, although it doesn't feel classic to me but that's because I'm way older, sadly.

Also today, the '66 'Stang is 53 years old therefore probably more like an antique than merely classic. So perhaps the 1894 Benz Velo is considered an ancient car! And to answer your original inquiry, I SHOULD consider my W126s as classics although I don't feel like it does.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I think it’s safe to say that to people who grew up with a certain model of a car, that particular car will never feel too classic.
I was born in 79 so anything before that year will feel too recent.
I owned a 73 Lincoln Mark IV for a year and that felt classic although as a car it was pure nonsense.

A friend of mine asked me what kind of classic car to get and I recommended a w116 if he wanted to stick to 70s cars. Or an s1 jaguar Xj6. After debating a bit, we decided that he would have to dig a bit deeper and find something from 60s. A caddy or a Lincoln since we grew up owning 80s Lincoln’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
Tbilisi79
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing