Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
'84 500 SEC Euro 040 black Lorinser 2005 sl500
2,516 Posts
Hmmm. I wounder if he would like to trade out the Lorinser steering wheel for an AMG wheel since it would be more fitting for his AMG SEC. Exactly what I am looking for....

Attachments

·
Registered
W126 500 SEL 9/85 W124 E320T Brabus
2,075 Posts
Its got the AMG look, but i don´t think its real. Its just a 560 SEC with a mix up of Gen I spoilers, Gen II side sills and a late ducktail. Looks like one collected the pieces and addet them.

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '98 SL500
1,977 Posts
Wow...I love that car...even with the mish-mash of parts. My money is that it was a Japan imported car that made it into Canada.

·
Premium Member
Tribute 500SEC AMG Widebody
6,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its got the AMG look, but i don´t think its real. Its just a 560 SEC with a mix up of Gen I spoilers, Gen II side sills and a late ducktail. Looks like one collected the pieces and addet them.
Though worth noting we here in NA did not officially receive the Gen II body kits and the Euro Gen II bumpers were even more impossible to find at the time. Makes sense that they would have used what was readily available to the NA market at the time. Notice it does have an AMG speedo, not typical to a "cosmetic" example.

Notice here that the Gen II wide body as found in the AMG catalog from 1987 utilizes Gen I euro bumpers and body kit.

Attachments

·
Registered
1985 300SD 1988 560SEC 822 1976 450SEL 1981 300SD
1,075 Posts
I have an under-employed pal in TO that would take a look for anyone interested...

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
I can go look if anyone needs me to.

·
Mercedes
9,043 Posts
Though worth noting we here in NA did not officially receive the Gen II body kits and the Euro Gen II bumpers were even more impossible to find at the time. Makes sense that they would have used what was readily available to the NA market at the time. Notice it does have an AMG speedo, not typical to a "cosmetic" example.

Notice here that the Gen II wide body as found in the AMG catalog from 1987 utilizes Gen I euro bumpers and body kit.
48hp, there was a US spec AMG bodykit/bumpers for widebody SEC's. In fact, there was a NOS kit (minus the widebody fenders) on ebay a few years ago that clearly showed part numbers and was widebody-specific. It looked like the standard US-spec AMG spoiler but had flared out dog-ears to accomodate for the fender flares. Finding a true US-spec widebody these days has got to be one of the hardest of all widebody's. I've never seen one for sale... but the AMG bodykit pieces clearly were marked for an AMG widebody US-spec.

From the scan of the AMG catalog, its just the headlights that are US spec. Does not mean the car was a US spec that was converted to Gen I Euro spec bumpers. Its got Gen II US-spec headlights but thats the least labor-involved mod to change out.

Although rare in the US, I don't think AMG would have used pre-owned bumpers to install if the client was going for a full-on AMG treatment. They'd have ordered new parts through the dealership.

Below is a Gen II Euro AMG with Gen II US spec headlights... and this scan, too, was out of an AMG catalog. Just saying...:p

·
Premium Member
6,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
48hp, there was a US spec AMG bodykit/bumpers for widebody SEC's. In fact, there was a NOS kit (minus the widebody fenders) on ebay a few years ago that clearly showed part numbers and was widebody-specific. It looked like the standard US-spec AMG spoiler but had flared out dog-ears to accomodate for the fender flares. Finding a true US-spec widebody these days has got to be one of the hardest of all widebody's. I've never seen one for sale... but the AMG bodykit pieces clearly were marked for an AMG widebody US-spec.

From the scan of the AMG catalog, its just the headlights that are US spec. Does not mean the car was a US spec that was converted to Gen I Euro spec bumpers. Its got Gen II US-spec headlights but thats the least labor-involved mod to change out.

Although rare in the US, I don't think AMG would have used pre-owned bumpers to install if the client was going for a full-on AMG treatment. They'd have ordered new parts through the dealership.

Below is a Gen II Euro AMG with Gen II US spec headlights... and this scan, too, was out of an AMG catalog. Just saying...:p
I have never seen a wide body with US spec bumpers period. Would be great to see though horribly wretched at the same time.

My point regarding the 1987 AMG North American Catalog is that it clearly is a Gen II smooth cladding coupe with Gen I Euro bumpers instead of the Gen II euro bumpers and a euro wide body kit.

And I believe the grass is always greener...hence the US spec headlights on the euro sedan.

·
Mercedes
9,043 Posts
A US-spec widebody with US-spec widebody bumpers specific only to widebody is not a myth.. but it does actually exists. I highly doubt they would produce parts and not have a car like it made.

As said earlier, I've never seen a complete widebody SEC with US-spec parts, but I do know for a fact that AMG has produced parts for them. Saying that AMG NA only used Euro Gen I kits on US specs is a little misleading. AMG NA could have easily ordered gen-correct bumpers at owners cost.. or used the US-spec bumpers to do the conversion. It would be nice to know how many widebody conversions were done in the US and get a general idea of what were used... but as you know getting any information like that is pretty much impossible these days.

·
Premium Member
6,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A US-spec widebody with US-spec widebody bumpers specific only to widebody is not a myth.. but it does actually exists. I highly doubt they would produce parts and not have a car like it made.

As said earlier, I've never seen a complete widebody SEC with US-spec parts, but I do know for a fact that AMG has produced parts for them. Saying that AMG NA only used Euro Gen I kits on US specs is a little misleading. AMG NA could have easily ordered gen-correct bumpers at owners cost.. or used the US-spec bumpers to do the conversion. It would be nice to know how many widebody conversions were done in the US and get a general idea of what were used... but as you know getting any information like that is pretty much impossible these days.
I agree but let's be clear,

The Gen II US and NA wide body front and rear bumpers consisted of or were based on the Gen I euro bumpers and Gen I wide body spoilers regardless of what they were referred to as.

I could not even imagine US DOT bumpers being used in a wide body conversion.

The handful of US converted wide body conversions I've come across were all of this style: Gen I euro bumpers, Gen I wide body spoilers

Attachments

·
Registered
W126 500 SEL 9/85 W124 E320T Brabus
2,075 Posts
For a while it was "chic" in Europe to equip the W126 with Gen I US headlights with H4 inserts. But they never did the conversion with Gen II, because one couldn´t get the H4 inserts for it ;)

·
Mercedes
9,043 Posts
I agree but let's be clear,

The Gen II US and NA wide body front and rear bumpers consisted of or were based on the Gen I euro bumpers and Gen I wide body spoilers regardless of what they were referred to as.

I could not even imagine US DOT bumpers being used in a wide body conversion.

The handful of US converted wide body conversions I've come across were all of this style: Gen I euro bumpers, Gen I wide body spoilers
Henric, believe me... these were US-spec AMG widebody-only front spoilers designed to fit US-spec bumpers. They look just like US-spec AMG front spoilers but the dog ears were flared out to meet the fender flares of the widebody.

·
Premium Member
6,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Henric, believe me... these were US-spec AMG widebody-only front spoilers designed to fit US-spec bumpers. They look just like US-spec AMG front spoilers but the dog ears were flared out to meet the fender flares of the widebody.
Well I look forward to those uniquely frumpy underbite photos.:thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts