Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see so many posts on this problem. I have an appointment to take my '99 in next week. I got some snow in the trunk, and mine is clearly dead now.

In passing, I mentioned to the service rep that MB has done some repairs off-warranty in recognition of the design fault. He said "there is no design fault", to which I responded that when the repair calls for putting the new part in a plastic bag, that IS a design fault.

I saw an earlier post where an owner had to pay over $1000 (£500) for his repair. There is no way that I'm going to pay for mine.

Has anyone ever sued over repair issues? Is anyone else as pissed off as me, or were you lucky enough to have problems on-warranty.

To make matters worse, I took the SLK in on-warranty for my roof close/open problem. They told me that there was no problem & nothing to be done. Now I see that there is a service bulletin for the fix. Case 2: Driver's seat heater (the back) burning out. Fixed on warranty in the spring, dead again in the fall (off-warranty). They say that they don't warranty repairs done on warranty.

Perhaps that I'm getting prematurely angry. Maybe they'll happily fix my PFE and do the roof to boot. But I somehow sense that I'm going to have a bit of a fight on my hands...

·
Registered
290 Posts
It seems to depend a lot on your dealer as to what happens out of warranty. I got my PFE replaced and repaired for a total charge of $75 when it failed out of warranty. Not sure what they decided to charge me out of the whole bill. But I bought the car from this dealer and so he may be nicer.

If there is an alternative dealer nearby, you may want to try that one. Doesn't look like the dealer is going to is very accommodative.

·
Registered
'01 SLK230,'93 190E 2.3, 1971 LS5 Corvette Convertible
2,225 Posts
barthrh,

This pump/moisture problem is not "NEWS" to Mercedes. I had a 1984 190D and the pump was mounted under the passenger side of the rear seat. If and when the Air Conditioner drain hose becomes blocked, the water would slowly overflow into the passenger side and into the trough in the floorboard and back to the pump. The pump was wrapped in foam to insulate noise but as you can imagine, the foam would soak up water the pump burned out. I replaced it myself and made sure to keep the A/C drain hose clean...I actually redesigned the hose so it wouldn't block up.

I guess I better look into wrapping my SLK pump in plastic just to be safe. If Mercedes REALLY wanted to improve their dependability/quality ratings they could read these forums for free and see what the owners are complaining about.

Oh well, just my 2 cents worth...Mercedes probably owns the company that manufactures the pumps so more money for them!

Good Luck on your pump replacement.

Dave

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
The question is... how do we stop the problem from happening again? Is there some way that we can prevent the moisture from getting at these pieces without MB saying... Oh, well, you wrapped it in plastic which didn't allow this to breath and dry therefore its not covered under warranty?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts