Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after Installing a K&N Filter on my 88 300CE I have developed a MAF sensor problem. This was a mistake that I unknowingly made!!! Untill I have now read through the numerous posts on this forum I was unaware of this unfortunate event about to take place with my MAF sensor. I believe that there is a strong case here for a class action suite against K&N filters. I would really like to seek repairations from them... Anyone else who would like to attest this please contact me.

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
John Mullen - 4/20/2005 5:14 PM

Well after Installing a K&N Filter on my 88 300CE I have developed a MAF sensor problem. This was a mistake that I unknowingly made!!! Untill I have now read through the numerous posts on this forum I was unaware of this unfortunate event about to take place with my MAF sensor. I believe that there is a strong case here for a class action suite against K&N filters. I would really like to seek repairations from them... Anyone else who would like to attest this please contact me.
how can you have a class action when you havent even stipulated whether or not

- K&N gave you a refund for the filter
- K&N rejected your invoice payment for a MAF
- K&N gave incorrect advice on application
- K&N said in writing anyone could install it.

How can you take legal action if you have not performed all these primary actions. Ooops it broke is hardly a ground for compensation.

·
Registered
499 Posts
It was pretty dumb of you to assume that you know more than Daimler Chrysler,especially when the "real " part of the company,Daimler,has been building autos since the beginning of the car industry as it is known today.
Why people insist on fittng K&N rubbish on their cars is beyond me,can you truthfully point to data NOT PUBLISHED by K&N which actually shows they are better than Mercedes parts?
No? I didn't think so[}:)]

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
mercmad - 4/20/2005 10:02 PM

It was pretty dumb of you to assume that you know more than Daimler Chrysler,especially when the "real " part of the company,Daimler,has been building autos since the beginning of the car industry as it is known today.
Why people insist on fittng K&N rubbish on their cars is beyond me,can you truthfully point to data NOT PUBLISHED by K&N which actually shows they are better than Mercedes parts?
No? I didn't think so[}:)]
I bet we will both be [B)] when he wins the case .... only in America.

I still cant get over the woman who won a case where she fell over her own child in a furniture store and won a settlement against the store owner.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
AFAIK K&N will kill your MAF\oxygen sensors if you wouldn't let oil on the filter dry as it says in instruction - that was a known fact for like 5 years.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
YOUR AN IDIOT! lawsuit my ass u noob u messed up on your own dont blam K & N.

ass go sue your mother sue this and sue that frakin id go jerry springer on u if I could.

--Deathy

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
sorry i felt like going off on someone lol rough day at work.

Everyone wants to sue these days. They cant let people make mistakes. In this case just like my job "ITS USER ERROR" the guy is a moron for even thinking K & N is in the wrong.

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230- RED
461 Posts
But hey, this is AmeriKa, and you can sue anybody, anytime, anywhere, for anything. There are enough lawyers to help anyone do this. I liked the case where the burgular, in using a chain saw to gain entrance through a roof, hit the power line just under the roof. Lit him up like a Christmas tree and he was d.o.a. at the scene [xx(] His family won a judgement of $ 1.00 with the admonition that the surviving adults teach the minors personal safety.

Regards

·
Registered
SLK 230 yellow
200 Posts
Hey Deathy, I can really agree with you on this one. Sheesh, I have had my K&N filter in for a year with no problems. I don't care about what stats to contrary, I think it works for me and I am happy.[:D]

·
Registered
1989 300 TE
460 Posts
Great! This is America, where you can file a law suit for anything. What integrity. You have to follow the instructions for it to work properly. Also, there is the problem of induction kits. I guess I don't know if you used a K & N filter in the factory set up or an induction kit. The induction kit that was mandrel bent. I may not have had coating on the inside. It can rust and cause valve and cylinder wall problems. It is great thing to have, good sound, better mileage, but you have to get the right one and use it properly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First off K&N make a filter for my 300CE that replaces the factory filter K&N part #E-2867. It comes pre-oiled from the factory and sealed in a plastic bag, so boy i don't think i messsed this up :) They claim that their filters do not effect MAF on any vehicle, however this does not seem to be the case. So who's integrity should we question here??? K&N technitions have not responded so far [email protected] Do you actually think they would pay for what they claim is not so... Get a clue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We've had the same problems with people over oiling their MAFS in VW's. You can get a plastic bag and your maf and some 99.9999% pure isopropyl alcohol and you can stick your MAF into that bag, and fill it full of alcohol and let it swish around and "clean" your MAF.

That said, if you do this, you should try to let it dry for at least 24 hrs.

Anything you do is at your own risk.

You could see if the SEMA law could save your arse, but I'm not sure. If you just took the filter out of the bag and didn't attempt to dry it off, then your MAF got oil ont it. Your filter probably came with excess oil on it. My AMSOIL filter was the same way, and I just got a paper towel to blot off the excess.

DC would warranty you if you had something that killed your MAF with a stock filter, not the Aftermarket one.

·
Registered
1989 300 TE
460 Posts
Sorry. I did not know that it came pre oiled in a plastic bag. I have only used ones that came unoiled and had to do that myself. Some people over oil or spray oil inside, yikes. Some put the filter on right away and drive. Didn't mean to offend.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks GriffinMoss at least someone has some usefull input as to solving the problem. And yes, I have pulled the MAF unit which was very slightly coated with the [email protected] oil being forced into the intake!!! I cleaned the MAF with 99.99999% pure alcohol got it at the chem lab [:)], replaced and it seems to have worked! [8D] Thanks for the tip [;)]

·
W201, W202, W203, W204, W205 Moderator
Amethyst 2001 C320
1,730 Posts
Instead of flamewars, let's try and keep on the topic of Mercedes. Afterall, this is "General Mercedes-Benz", not "Off-Topic".

·
Registered
1991 350SDL 2004 G500
528 Posts
miroj - 4/19/2005 8:37 AM

I bet we will both be [B)] when he wins the case .... only in America.

I still cant get over the woman who won a case where she fell over her own child in a furniture store and won a settlement against the store owner.

What? your going to have to run that one by me again because thats just plain stupid...or it was done on purpose[B)]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts