Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1982 300TDT
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any idea what can cause that (CLANK CLANK CLANK) noise coming from the rear right wheel on my 83tdt? Just started, and only occurred on the hwy at high speed. When I slowed down it disappeared. Also only seemed to come when I had been driving for a while. Definitely a very scary noise!
Thanks..

·
Registered
1982 Mercedes 300TD wagon
1,048 Posts
Yup! You have a torn axle boot on one of your transaxles. The friction from the loss of lubrication makes the axle overheat and thus your terrible noise. My car had the same syndrome. Look under with a flashlight and you'll find out which one it is by looking at the rubber boots at both ends of each axle.
New axle can be bought for about $340 online or if you're poor I have a used one which can be rebuilt. Only pay shipping and it's yours...

·
Registered
1983 300D Turbo
120 Posts
I've got a similar problem.
Loud clanks that would come up during a long highway trip then dissappear (for a whaile any way) once I bring it to a stop. (like when I try to nail down the source of the noise at a highway rest stop!!)
When looking around, I found a suggestion that it could be the Rear sway bar links.
Apparently their wear can't easily be noticed when there on the car. At 31$ a pair from dieselGiant.com I figure its a good place to start. I did look at the boots last time I had her on a hoist but will look closer next time.

In any event I'll keep y'all posted!

·
Registered
1982 300TDT
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Definately not the sway bar links. Mine are new, and that noise is very different. More like a clunk clunk....not CLANK CLANK CLANK!!!

·
Registered
'82 300D
1,279 Posts
Have you checked your CV joints yet? Having one break while driving is not a good thing.

·
Registered
'84 300D/ dakota benz trk. Sold... miss it. "88 260E '91 190E 2.6 '89 Volvo 240DL "85 300D
1,252 Posts
guys, i don,t get it... i have seen those same prices for halfshafts and i went to my local parts store and i got one for $98.53 with a lifetime warranty! WTF??? don,t pay those ridiculous prices for this part. especially if you are a DIY. the shaft i got looked awesome, it fit perfectly.

·
Registered
1984 300TD
60 Posts
yup- autozoo and checker have them for $100 or less. lifetime warranty, you may even get lucky and not have to do the job more than once.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts