Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2003 E500, 2008 ML320CDI
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 model, right around 40K miles. Took it in to the dealer due to a noise from the rear end. Dealer diagnosed this as a rear differential failure. Replacement only as they consider this a non-serviceable item. Replacement differential retails over $3000. The car was purchased by my brother in law used, so there is no warranty coverage available. We removed the differential and decided to take it apart, what did we have to lose? This is what we found when we opened it up.

·
Registered
2003 E500, 2008 ML320CDI
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The race on that side was equally FUBAR. The other bearings and gears all look like they are fine. We decided to take it to a local differential shop without much hope that they would be able/willing to change out the bearing(s). They took the old bearings off to try to identify them for sourcing replacements. Lucky for us, they were able to find them, and the total bill was around $300 for new bearings/races. It was a little bit disappointing to hear from the differential shop that the bearings that they took out were Chinese made. I remember the days of a Mercedes differential lasting half a million miles. I have seen Mercedes own up to their design mistakes in the past, and this is one that I think they should offer a warranty extension, along with replacement parts rather than just complete rear differentials. 40K miles is unacceptable for something like this, and I know this isn't an isolated incident. I have heard of differentials being replaced because they were leaking.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Cla 250 most of the time sounds like engaging the rear differential on and off:
when I start the march and keep slow speed.
At the corners at medium speed
going up in a hill
sometimes after 7+ min on parking position with the engine on...
Question?
Is there the same problem related to the bearings on the rear differential?
I appreciate your valuable advice and time... sharing your experiences...\

·
Registered
2003 E500, 2008 ML320CDI
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure if it is related to the bearings or not. Typically a bearing failure would be a constant noise. The differential has an electronic disconnect and is only transmitting torque when commanded, otherwise it is free to spin independent of the front wheels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts