Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which one do you guys think would win in a race? I know they have the same horsepower, but what are some of the advantages of having twin turbo V12 over the supercharged V8?

·
Registered
2007 S550 Sport
911 Posts
aw you brought back so many memories from my childhood :) Not that im old or anything hehe. IM 23, but remember very well the "which one would win in a race" questions my friends and I used to ask during our sleepovers.

I remmeber way back when...... I asked, "which would win in a race.... A porsche 911, or a Delorean" (from Back to the future!!!!!!!!!!!!! )

hehe.

FYI - The porsche would win...but boy...when the delorean hits 88mph.....it leaves the porsche in the past! :)
B

·
Registered
'03 G 500, '06 Cayman S
95 Posts
This post is not meant to be confrontational but merely an honest question.

Doesn't the answer depend on what kind of race we are talking about?

Even if the MB factory figures are understated, the CL600 has a torque advantage. Based on what I think that I know, that should make thee CL600 faster in most straight "pull" events. (BTW there is some info on another board where owners of CL55's have dyno'ed their stock vehicles and gotten numbers considerably higher that the MB numbers. I'd imagine this would be true across the model range)

On the other hand, wouldn't the AMG handling modifications, especially the brakes, make a difference on a circuit course like Willow Springs?

I've read that slightly modified CL32's have beaten CL55's on tighter courses with weight and breaking being some of the deciding factors. Wouldn't these same factors play a significant role in a circuit course race between a CL55 and a CL600?

·
Registered
A200 Turbo-C230K-S320 CDI-SL55-C63AMG
346 Posts
yeah, in a drag race the 600 would edge it, but on i circuit the 55 will probably would win.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Storm. - 2/1/2005 1:30 AM

If all things remain equal then yes, maybe on a track the came driver driving both cars would post a slightly better time with the 55.

I have however not found anyone who can drift ANY car like I do with my CL. I really do drive it like stole it.
lol, nice!

·
Registered
'03 G 500, '06 Cayman S
95 Posts
I asked a similar question (CL55 vs. CL600) on another forum. Here's one persons reply:

"The 600 will be a bit quicker in acceleration due to its tq advantage but once the road turns the AMG car will truly be the superior machine. The 600's tip the scales at 218 more pounds than the 55's and all that mass is stuffed up front over the front end. This makes the 600's have a very nose heavy feel and they have a far larger dose of understeer when stacked up against a 55k. In addition the AMG car has different shocks and ABC settings that make it sportier than the 600. Some members around here say the 600 has the same suspension as the 55 but part numbers and literature prove them all wrong. Last I checked the AMG shocks say AMG on the side while the 600's just have a A215 part number stamped on the side.

There is no doubt a 55 is the more fun car to drive unless blasting from 0-100 is your idea of a performance test.

FYI the sport package does nothing other than add wheels and a body kit. The car drives no better than a non-sport car with AMG wheels. CL600's are the same as CL600 sports."

·
Registered
346 Posts
j.edwards - 2/2/2005 4:03 AM

I asked a similar question (CL55 vs. CL600) on another forum. Here's one persons reply:

"The 600 will be a bit quicker in acceleration due to its tq advantage but once the road turns the AMG car will truly be the superior machine. The 600's tip the scales at 218 more pounds than the 55's and all that mass is stuffed up front over the front end. This makes the 600's have a very nose heavy feel and they have a far larger dose of understeer when stacked up against a 55k. In addition the AMG car has different shocks and ABC settings that make it sportier than the 600. Some members around here say the 600 has the same suspension as the 55 but part numbers and literature prove them all wrong. Last I checked the AMG shocks say AMG on the side while the 600's just have a A215 part number stamped on the side.

There is no doubt a 55 is the more fun car to drive unless blasting from 0-100 is your idea of a performance test.

FYI the sport package does nothing other than add wheels and a body kit. The car drives no better than a non-sport car with AMG wheels. CL600's are the same as CL600 sports."
Totally agree with you. That's exactly what I found after I test drove both, before deciding on the 55 over the 600 (SL). And I've read all the modifications that AMG make somewhere, and it definately makes it a better drive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts