Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
S600 Lorinser CL 65 AMG Delorean Ferrari Rolls Royce Audi S8 Corvette Porsche 928 Grand National.
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hope someone here can answer this puzzle. My CL55 AMG starts right up and runs/drives fine for the first 10 to 15 minutes of driving. After that time period, the car just shuts down, either on the road while driving or just parked at idle and will not restart for about an hour or so. After that time, it starts right up like nothing happened. I do not use the car much so the battery goes down often. Sometimes, the car sits in the garage for several months before I use it again. I thought it was the battery so I put a new one in the car. It does this same thing. What is going on here? It happens like clockwork. After the car shuts down, it still has power and it still cranks but nothing. Does this have to do with the battery being down for a period of time? Is there some kind of stupid cutoff system that is acting up? This is really strange.:confused:

·
Registered
2006 CL600 2011 C300
125 Posts
Did you check for any code in the ECU? This of course is your first step.

Before I bought a STAR unit, I spent 20 bucks and bought a Bluetooth OBDII unit from Amazon. Downloaded the 'TORQUE' app (FREE) for Droid and I used it to pull and clear fault codes.

I still actually use that APP as I drive so I can watch boost and other operations. You might want to give it a try. Mine works perfectly. Not a Hiccup!

20 bucks very well spent!

·
Registered
2003 w211 E500 Sport
93 Posts
I would check the CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor). $60 part and 30 minutes to change. Not claiming to be an expert, but sounds very like problems I have experienced with E320 and E430.

·
Registered
Sold my 2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
579 Posts
Sounds like CPS. They fail when they get hot. Better to just replace it. Its a DIY but its a little hard to get to. Very common issue. You just crank and no start. Once it cools down. It starts.

·
Registered
S600 Lorinser CL 65 AMG Delorean Ferrari Rolls Royce Audi S8 Corvette Porsche 928 Grand National.
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Crankshaft Position Sensor? OK, I will look into this. Thank you everyone! I must say every Mercedes I had did something really weird and now this one likes to shut off on the road. Why would this part get hot and shut down the car? Sometimes, I really think Mercedes had some stupid ideas. For the money, we should not have issues like this....

·
Registered
2006 CL600 2011 C300
125 Posts
I have had these go bad on my Excursion Diesel.... just like that.

But, 1 10mm bolt and an open end wrench on the side of the road fixes it in 10 minutes.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
The Crankshaft Position Sensor? OK, I will look into this. Thank you everyone! I must say every Mercedes I had did something really weird and now this one likes to shut off on the road. Why would this part get hot and shut down the car? Sometimes, I really think Mercedes had some stupid ideas. For the money, we should not have issues like this....
It's a hall-effect magnet, heat soak kills the signal it's trying to send, the car has no idea where in the firing cycle it is, so it dies. When it cools down, it works again.

Ten minutes is an awfully short period of time to induce these symptoms, though. There are other potential issues, but they are more involved, so for $50 (depending on where you buy it) and the time to change it, if I owned your car the first thing I'd do is change the CPS. You can use the DIY in the W210 stickies to locate it, it's in the same place on your car, just tighter clearances. Pull the cover and intake plumbing before you try to find it, and of course set the hood to open "full vertical." ;)

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts