Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi first post so here goes.Doing a service on my friends car and have had trouble removing the canister cap for the oil filter to be removed.Slackened of bolt ok to remove cap (bolt must have a shoulder to stop it being removed fully from cap.The cap now loose comes off but cannot get past the inner wing and clyinder head.Very tight squeeze.If the bolt would remove fully which it does not the canister cap would come off but because it is captive in the cap their is no movement really to manover it out.Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
Why bolt? oil filter has larg cap on top. You remove that then replace oil filter.. you dont take the housing away from the engine..

·
Registered
1996 S500 coupe
782 Posts
that happens because the engine mounts go bad and the engine drops

this is what you can do

place a jack under and raise the engine a bit to remove the cap and bolt

there is a circlip on the bottom that prevents the bolt to come off without the cap. Remove that circlip, so in the future you can remove the bolt without having to raise the engine. Then you can reach with your palm and wiggle the cap loose

put a set of engine mounts on your to do list

in the meantime, remember not to over tighten that bolt when you put in the new filter. That housing is more fragile than a wet toilet paper and slightest pressure will crack it

·
Registered
1987 560SL - 1994 S420 - 2005 S55 AMG
341 Posts
that happens because the engine mounts go bad and the engine drops

this is what you can do

place a jack under and raise the engine a bit to remove the cap and bolt

there is a circlip on the bottom that prevents the bolt to come off without the cap. Remove that circlip, so in the future you can remove the bolt without having to raise the engine. Then you can reach with your palm and wiggle the cap loose

put a set of engine mounts on your to do list

in the meantime, remember not to over tighten that bolt when you put in the new filter. That housing is more fragile than a wet toilet paper and slightest pressure will crack it

I also have the circlip removed but found it difficult to remove the cap after the bolt is pulled out. I have a piece of coat hanger with a hook end that I stick in the empty bolt hole and use to pull the cap off. Good advice about the worn engine mounts.
MslChief

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cl500 oil cap removal

Thought so.Had a peice of wood on the side of the engine to lever it away,still can't get it past.Will slacken engine mounts and move that way.Untill the circlip is removed the job will be alot easier enabling the bolt to be removed first then the cap.Thanks again for all your help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts