Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes Benz CL500 RENNTECH
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am new to this forum and new to the mercedes world. I recently purchased a 2002 CL-500 Renntech edition. I decided to change the smog lights to white and began to change the interior smaller lights to make them clear also. Noticing that I had purchased the high beams and not the smaller H6 light bulbs, I returned them. With all this, I never opened the HID low beam backing, however; today when I was driving the vehicle my left HID began to turn off and then turn back on, kept doing that in the freeway. I also parked it and it did the same. Then I noticed there is a color change on the xenons, what do you guys think the problem may be? New light? If so which bulbs can I get and where can I get OEM bulbs for cheap.

·
Registered
2003 Lincoln LS V8
115 Posts
First of all, try switching the HID bulbs from left to right. This will help you determine whether the problem in the bulb or the ballast.

If it is the bulbs, I'd recommend replacing both of them. Since HID bulbs colorshift (become bluer and lose output) as they age, the new bulb won't match the old bulb. Also, if one is at it's end of life then the other one isn't far behind.

Your bulbs are D2R. Osram and Philips bulbs are both OEM quality. You can get off brands a lot cheaper, but these are a crap shoot for quality. I'd recommend the Philips 85126+ (4200K slightly yellowish-white, resists colorshift) if you like the stock color.

·
Registered
2001 CLK430, 2000 CL500 both silver with black interior. 2005 C230Kompressor Sport Red with Blk Int
90 Posts
I agree with StarPower to switch the bulbs from left to right to see if it helps isolate the problem. IF you find that it is not the bulb, the next step would be the ballast so I think you would have to drop the front bumper to pull your light out and check. I wanted to add some chrome to the inside of my headlights so I took them out and separated the clear plastic lens from the rest of the light and did a little custom job BUT while I had the light out, I noticed a little bit of corrosion on the connector where the power cord connects on the back of the headlight assembly. I cleaned it all off with my little dremel tool and some small files or scrapers I had. My lights used to flicker but now since I cleaned up that corrosion, they havent flicked on and off at all.

You have to take off your front bumper to take out your headlights so I would check the bulbs first since that is the easiest thing to do, and then if that doesnt work, take it a step further. I cleaned both parts of the connection, the plug and the part that it plugs into to insure a good connection and since then my lights havent flickered. I took pics of the process and what I did to the inside of my headlights but I havent gotten around to posting them on here. New headlights were about $2500 for the set so I took mine apart, added some chrome to the inside and polished up the lenses inside and out. So if your light bulb change doesnt work, I would check that connection before I went and bought any parts, it could be what is causing your lights to flicker.

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes Benz CL500 RENNTECH
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys so tonight on my way home the light did not flicker or turn off, however the left one turned purple more 8000k color, so im thinking this may be the light bulb. What do you say?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts