Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 CL is in storage, after about 1 1/2 months my rear right corner dropped.

I know this is somewhat normal, but my question is do I leave it dropped or turn on the engine and re-settle the abc?

Can the prolonged drop damage the strut?

I must add that it is no trouble at all to start the engine, the car is in a heated area and is on a battery trickle charger.

·
Registered
1970 w109 6.3, 2014 ML350 (petrol) AMG kitted, 2004 Vito 115 crewbus, 2003 CL600 V12 bi-turbo
403 Posts
I am surprised that only one strut dropped! I am not a MB tech, but can see no reason why you should not start the car - push the ABC button three times till the light goes out again and drive off as if nothing has happened.
If I leave my CL600 for more than two days, both front struts go down enough to bring the warning on. I either push the ABC and the front 'shoots' up (good sign) or just put it in gear and take the brake off and the car lifts by itself.
All this means it that the metal to metal seals have let some fluid back to the top up tank - don't panic. It is normal.

·
Registered
2001 CLK430, 2000 CL500 both silver with black interior. 2005 C230Kompressor Sport Red with Blk Int
90 Posts
I would start the car just for the sake of letting the engine run if nothing else. If it is on trickle charge, then you might not have to worry about the battery, but there are other things to consider also. I had to put my car in storage for a year while I was deployed, and I had to leave a friend my keys to start it once a month. (I checked the miles to make sure he didnt drive it) Anyway, its not good for a car to sit that long without running. You should run the car for at least a few minutes to keep it "fresh". Honestly, if possible I would even drive it around the block and come back and park it, that way your tires arent even always sitting on the same spots.

·
Registered
'02 CL500
376 Posts
I would start the car just for the sake of letting the engine run if nothing else. If it is on trickle charge, then you might not have to worry about the battery, but there are other things to consider also. I had to put my car in storage for a year while I was deployed, and I had to leave a friend my keys to start it once a month. (I checked the miles to make sure he didnt drive it) Anyway, its not good for a car to sit that long without running. You should run the car for at least a few minutes to keep it "fresh". Honestly, if possible I would even drive it around the block and come back and park it, that way your tires arent even always sitting on the same spots.
All do respect, but starting and running a stored car for just a few minutes is one of the worst things that you can do to the engine and exhaust system. The result of this is an engine building up sludge which can damage internal parts. One a car being stored is started, it should be driven up to highway speeds for a half hour or so. This will burn off any damaging condensation in both the engine and exhaust system.

And thanks for serving!

·
Registered
2001 CLK430, 2000 CL500 both silver with black interior. 2005 C230Kompressor Sport Red with Blk Int
90 Posts
All do respect, but starting and running a stored car for just a few minutes is one of the worst things that you can do to the engine and exhaust system. The result of this is an engine building up sludge which can damage internal parts. One a car being stored is started, it should be driven up to highway speeds for a half hour or so. This will burn off any damaging condensation in both the engine and exhaust system.

And thanks for serving!

I pretty much disagree with the whole sludge idea you proposed. Sludge is what it is, running your car for a few minutes isnt going to make a bunch of sludge that will damage your engine. Sludge comes from using crappy oil to begin with. I only use the best Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil. Even if what you say is true about the sludge, I would MUCH rather have that then NOT run my car at all for a year or two and then almost every seal in your engine has dried out and cracked, not to mention your tires. My mother has a travel trailer which she changes the tires on every year because she takes it on one vacation and then it sits there for a year without moving. The sides of the tires split, and she needs new ones. (You think she would learn).

I think we can both agree that the best scenario is to start periodically and drive it around for a while and then come back and park it. People take short trips in their cars everyday again and again so they arent exactly deadly to your car. If they were, then all 4 of my cars would have broke down LONG AGO. I have a BMW with 249,000 miles on it right now and it takes A LOT of 2 mile trips to the store, post office, McDonalds, etc. If you let a car sit for a long time without ever even running it, then you should expect problems.

Also, whenever you DO start your car periodically, dont start it up and start revving it right away. Those parts havent had oil in a while. You gotta let it idle for a while before you raise those rpms.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts