Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys Ive just put a CL style grill on my W220 but when i try to pop the hood/bonnet theres no room for me to pull the latch so i can open it!! Has anyone done this beofre? Does the latch or hood need to be modified in some way? Have searched the forum but havent came accross this particular issue.

Thanks Guys!!!

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
Is the pop-out lever that you pull to release the latch hung up on something? A number of members have installed the CL-style grille without mentioning this problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The opening for the latch is on the right of the big star but my fingers dont seem to be able to get thrrough, should the latch come through one of the slats? does the latch need to be repositioned?

·
Registered
96 and 08 911 turbos
2,988 Posts
I believe you need a longer pull handle. Do a search on mbworld.org, they've discussed it before i think.

·
Registered
S500 4Matic 2005
907 Posts
The opening for the latch is on the right of the big star but my fingers dont seem to be able to get thrrough, should the latch come through one of the slats? does the latch need to be repositioned?
Did you ever find a solution to the longer latch ??

·
Registered
2004 Mercedes S500
75 Posts
Can you please tell me where you got it from ??
I got it from ebay

The seller is expresspart

Keyword search I used if "w220 grill"

Here is the link. May come in other colors.

03-06 W220 S430 S55 S500 S600 BLACK W/CHROME STAR GRILLE 3BAR S-CLASS | eBay

You will see a small gap in the star at the upper right. That is where the latch will stick through when bonnet is released.

Getting the boot open is a little harder with the new latch. You have to pull down instead of towards you. I think if you cut part of the inner rim part of the star (not visible from the outside) it may be easier but I have not experimented with that yet.

Installation is not difficult but a bit cumbersome. I could not transfer the fastening squares from the old one to the new one, so I ended up solving the issue using a nut and some washers.

·
Registered
S500 4Matic 2005
907 Posts
I got it from ebay

The seller is expresspart

Keyword search I used if "w220 grill"

Here is the link. May come in other colors.

03-06 W220 S430 S55 S500 S600 BLACK W/CHROME STAR GRILLE 3BAR S-CLASS | eBay

You will see a small gap in the star at the upper right. That is where the latch will stick through when bonnet is released.

Getting the boot open is a little harder with the new latch. You have to pull down instead of towards you. I think if you cut part of the inner rim part of the star (not visible from the outside) it may be easier but I have not experimented with that yet.

Installation is not difficult but a bit cumbersome. I could not transfer the fastening squares from the old one to the new one, so I ended up solving the issue using a nut and some washers.
Thank you !! I have been looking at this one ...
03-06 MERCEDES W220 S S430 S500 S55 BLACK GRILL GRILLE NEW 2003 2004 2005 2006 | eBay
But the seller confirmed that it will not work with the OEM latch. Have sent few e-mails asking if he provides the longer latch and he is having hard time responding. I am assuming he does not provide it. Really like the look but hate micky mousing :confused:

·
Registered
2004 Mercedes S500
75 Posts
Hmm, I took a look at your link, there is no hole for the latch to stick through, which is pretty much around the middle of the grill.

Only 3 possible options I can think of to install that grill and still open your bonnet.
- a trap door somewhere in the grill that we can't see in the photo for a longer latch to go thru
- a redesigned angled and somewhat awkward latch to stick thru on either of the side of the star
- a string with like a ring for you to pull on it, dangling on the outside of the grill, but that poses other problems like rattling while driving or losing it behind the grill and not being able to open easily after that.

Thank you !! I have been looking at this one ...
03-06 MERCEDES W220 S S430 S500 S55 BLACK GRILL GRILLE NEW 2003 2004 2005 2006 | eBay
But the seller confirmed that it will not work with the OEM latch. Have sent few e-mails asking if he provides the longer latch and he is having hard time responding. I am assuming he does not provide it. Really like the look but hate micky mousing :confused:

·
Registered
S500 4Matic 2005
907 Posts
Hmm, I took a look at your link, there is no hole for the latch to stick through, which is pretty much around the middle of the grill.

Only 3 possible options I can think of to install that grill and still open your bonnet.
- a trap door somewhere in the grill that we can't see in the photo for a longer latch to go thru
- a redesigned angled and somewhat awkward latch to stick thru on either of the side of the star
- a string with like a ring for you to pull on it, dangling on the outside of the grill, but that poses other problems like rattling while driving or losing it behind the grill and not being able to open easily after that.
Thanks for looking into it for me :) I still have not heard back from the seller....What's funny is that they advertise it as a straight forward swap but do not tell you anything about the hood not being able to open after :rolleyes: Really like the look of it but don't know if I want to take this project on or not.......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts