Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC EURO AMG/LORINSER; 1988 560SEL, 1995 S500 Sonderschutz
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across this ad on CL. A good part of it makes me think about my own car.

Enjoy:

1967 Mercedes 250S

·
Outstanding Contributor
1990 500SL, 1986 500SEC
1,824 Posts
I love that write up. Makes me want to buy it ;)

Seriously, it sounds more like my 116 than my 126 but I get what you are saying.

Also I like how the 'author' starts off really making the car sound shitty and then at the end makes someone with a modern car reading the ad realize they drive a cardboard cut-out of an auto.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True that.

I just don't see the problem of owning a 20 year old car. Buying a new car is just going to be 20 years old in 20 years anyway, and you save yourself 20 years of payments.

·
Registered
'87 560SEC: '86 AMG 560SEC: '87 560SEL - PAST: Heckflosse 190 & 230S
1,479 Posts
nice creative copy

And once upon a time... a model I'd have aspired to from my older 230S. Upgrades galore here: from the 4-speed (mine was '3 on the tree'), the sleeker tail (sans 'fins'), and the more modern interior ergonomics. Ahh, those were the days.

A well done ad, with near photo-documentary flair. Unfortunately the poor headlight surround seems to disintegrate along their trip.

The part that surprised me though, was reading a Canadian quoting Tricky-Dick Nixon. Somewhat of an oxymoron - eh? :D

·
Registered
Euro 1985 500SEL
1,498 Posts
The guy who wrote this ad is quite the slimy salesman. On one hand he is telling you what a piece of crap it is and that it's really a parts car. On the other hand, he tries to make you feel like you aren't really living life to the fullest with all the safety features in modern cars and that you should really not give a damn and buy the car so you can die with the wind in your hair. I guess MB created all these safety features for nothing. Who cares if you crash and end up disfigured or a cripple..lol. I would wager he is now getting one of those cars with all those safety features he is loathing just to sell this piece of crap.

I wouldn't touch this vehicle if it was free, and if it's so great then he should keep it. Anytime someone tries to sell you something by making you feel bad or less than for your current choices is a scumbag in my book. That's like selling expensive home alarm systems to the elderly by telling them if they don't buy it someone will break in and slit their throats in the middle of the night. But there are gullible people out there who fall for this kind of sales pitch, and he knows it. No thanks.. =)

·
Registered
1983 500 SEC Lorinser 1971 280se w108
1,963 Posts
The guy who wrote this ad is quite the slimy salesman. On one hand he is telling you what a piece of crap it is and that it's really a parts car. On the other hand, he tries to make you feel like you aren't really living life to the fullest with all the safety features in modern cars and that you should really not give a damn and buy the car so you can die with the wind in your hair. I guess MB created all these safety features for nothing. Who cares if you crash and end up disfigured or a cripple..lol. I would wager he is now getting one of those cars with all those safety features he is loathing just to sell this piece of crap.

I wouldn't touch this vehicle if it was free, and if it's so great then he should keep it. Anytime someone tries to sell you something by making you feel bad or less than for your current choices is a scumbag in my book. That's like selling expensive home alarm systems to the elderly by telling them if they don't buy it someone will break in and slit their throats in the middle of the night. But there are gullible people out there who fall for this kind of sales pitch, and he knows it. No thanks.. =)
Come on seriously?
He is making a light hearted tongue in cheek sales pitch trying to sell a car that there really is no logical reason to own other than emotional
Theres no subterfuge in that ad just a bit of fun
Its funny I was a used car salesman for several years back in the mid 90s and so many people have the exact same attude as ^^
If you cant look at a car like that and make a reasonable judgement of its condition for yourself,banter aside,you shouldnt be buying that sort of car
That said Ive seen many people make stupid ill informed buying desisions because uncle awesome no one pulls the wool over my eyes I worked on a car once idiot knows better then the shady salesman ;)

·
Registered
1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
1,830 Posts
Too bad he's on the west coast and I'm on the east coast.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Come on seriously?
He is making a light hearted tongue in cheek sales pitch trying to sell a car that there really is no logical reason to own other than emotional
Theres no subterfuge in that ad just a bit of fun
Its funny I was a used car salesman for several years back in the mid 90s and so many people have the exact same attude as ^^
If you cant look at a car like that and make a reasonable judgement of its condition for yourself,banter aside,you shouldnt be buying that sort of car
That said Ive seen many people make stupid ill informed buying desisions because uncle awesome no one pulls the wool over my eyes I worked on a car once idiot knows better then the shady salesman ;)
Exactly.

Maybe if he put the ad in all capital letters and went on and on about how it is "fully loaded" and the MSRP of the vehicle, it would appeal to the masses.

·
Registered
1966 200 Diesel; 1985 500 SEL (wrecked); 1991 420 SEL; 1979 280E (Home Market); 1993 190E 2.6
584 Posts
I like the W108's & 109's. They have a certain look to them that I admire. I really like the looks of the dash in these cars too with all the wood and chrome.

Someday a 300SEL 6.3 WILL be added to the collection around here. I just can't figure out if that day will be before or after the W116 6.9.

-Wolf

·
Outstanding Contributor
1990 500SL, 1986 500SEC
1,824 Posts

Yea Nightbird lighten up :D I feel/felt the same way as you (although not toward this particular ad) but the reality is people need to know only they can make a decision as to what is in their best interests. If they are swayed by propaganda either way well then thats their problem.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I thought his add was Spectacular and speaks to Me on many levels. He hits the nail on the head RE: cars today, the mentality of the public, the lack of knowledge/interest/desire in having to be Involved, engage one's brain...the reward in owning/fixing something that requires more then just a black box... the list goes on.

Epic WIN on Every Level.

Jonathan

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Thanks Roland:)

·
Registered
Euro 1985 500SEL
1,498 Posts
^^^

Like I said..there are always people who fall for this kind of talk..lol. Good advertising does this..it actually makes you feel good even though it may be ridiculing your current choices. Or it makes a lemon sound like a peach..and even though you didn't really want a lemon..lemons are so juicy and tart and so refreshing when made into lemonade..lol.

There's a difference between "lighthearted" and going on paragraph after paragraph to subtly influence your buying decisions. The fact that he made you all think he was brilliant just proves how slimy..err..good..he is. Marketing is one of my forte's, so I'm just pointing out someone who is good at it. Your responses proved my point.

And I'm already lightened up! Just because I don't agree with the masses doesn't mean I'm uptight..sheesh!..lol. =)

·
Registered
'87 560SEC: '86 AMG 560SEC: '87 560SEL - PAST: Heckflosse 190 & 230S
1,479 Posts
chant (rant)

The fact that he made you all think he was brilliant just proves how slimy..err..good..he is. Marketing is one of my forte's, so I'm just pointing out someone who is good at it. Your responses proved my point.
Since "marketing is your forte" you can probably grasp how your choice of wording
slimy, piece of crap, loathing, scumbag, gullible

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I still believe you are missing the point NB, I have Zero interest in purchasing this mans car, instead I think what he has to say about the populace as a whole and their desire to be insulated from Everything, never required to engage their brain...instead letting electronics nanny over their every move...this is where I feel he is utterly on point.

He does phrase it such a manner that it Speaks to those similarly minded folks in manner that so few are capable of. If you want to take make that out as he is a "good" marketer, that's fine.

Plus, he wants 900$ for a running Merc, that ain't bad no matter how you skin it.

So much more then just an add.

Jonathan

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Interesting he said he swapped the engine for a 2.8L... Wonder what was in it before?

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
prolly little M114..

M110 is a nice upgrade.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
prolly little M114..

M110 is a nice upgrade.
M110 is a nice upgrade. There was a posting for a 6.9 on BringATrailer.com that was stunning.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts