Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 cl500, 1992 sl500
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cl is stuck in park, I have read the forums on this and belive it is the plastic lever that has broke off in gear shifter for the brake relese ( I can hear the servo motor working). My problem is I can't remove the center console with out moving the shifter out of park. Any solutions?

·
Registered
'02 CL500
376 Posts
My cl is stuck in park, I have read the forums on this and belive it is the plastic lever that has broke off in gear shifter for the brake relese ( I can hear the servo motor working). My problem is I can't remove the center console with out moving the shifter out of park. Any solutions?
Place a doubled up towel of similar object (for protection) over the shifter and smack it fairly hard with a mallet while pulling back on it. You may have to do this a few times but it will come out of park and you won't hurt the shifter.

·
Registered
2002 cl500, 1992 sl500
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have taken the shifter knob off and hit it numerous times with a mallet, got a bigger mallet and still no luck

·
Registered
'02 CL500
376 Posts
I have taken the shifter knob off and hit it numerous times with a mallet, got a bigger mallet and still no luck
I'm not sure if the ignition needs to be on (engine off) or not, but try it with it on. Don't be afraid to hit it. You just need to move the broken plastic piece to free up the shifter. If you take it to have it repaired, that is what they will do. Just be pulling back on the shifter as you strike it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts