Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just wanted to mention that it is such a pleasure to participate on a forum with a bunch of adults that can act in a civil open minded manor and learn from each other rather than worrying about pissing on bushes. :thumbsup:

I've been in bicycle world lately and doing a bunch of research for a prototype I'm building and getting on a bunch of forums to see what people are taking about.

Let me tell you...boy you had better not say or propose anything that is even a millimeter off from the status quo or you will get flamed to Sunday.

The worst was the main British bicycle trials forum. Someone asked about rim vs disc brakes and I decided to share some of my 30+ years of experience on the subject and give my opinion. I used lots of 'in my opinion' 'from my experience' 'interesting idea,but I "think"' etc but that made no difference. You would think I had slandered some of their mothers. One guy even told me to "f**k" off because I dared to say that I thought that new technology disc brakes might work better. Might! Unbelievable.

If everyone was like the majority of the guys on there we would surly still be cutting our meat with rocks and they wouldn't even have bicycles to ride.

Tiny fragile egos.

Sheesh.

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,035 Posts
That attitude is pretty much the norm for online forums. I personally like a little good spirited fun here and there, but there are a bunch of douche bags out there that just can't handle different points of view.

·
Registered
'91 U1250 '02 U500NA
3,438 Posts
I said that a few times already,
I enjoy participating in this forum.
The main topic itself, which is UNIMOG,
is the source of natural selection of the members of this forum (IMHO).
It takes quite a bit of imagination , commitment and insanity,
to buy and drive those tracks, especially, were the service and parts are not
as accessible as in Europe.
Hut off as well to all other members from overseas and other continents
(Central and South America) for their input, and different perspective on the topic.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I agree. We've had our moments, but the general truly wishing to help attitude here is of great value and clearly a bunch of guys that I'd be happy to have a beer with anytime.

·
Registered
1987 416 Doka
658 Posts
I am on 4x4 forums, Tacoma specific usually, and it's the same crap. I don't post because I don't feel like my opinion/experience is valued - despite the fact that I have attended formal off-road driving training. The worst though, is just reading through post after post of useless backstabbing and flaming, trying to glean out an ounce of pertinent knowledge!

I love this forum for just the opposite reason! Great knowledge base and willingness to share - and no one bad-mouthing the "opinion" of another (for the most part :D ). Of course there is this one thread about engine heaters that got WOT taking about Himalayan bovines... Where did that come from???

Good people here :beerchugr:

·
Registered
1976 406 w/ backhoe and dozer blade, a small collection of implements too
1,448 Posts
Group hug.

Come on everyone, gather around, get close, reach around to those on each side.......Kumbay-yah, kum...

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,035 Posts
Hahaha, he said "Reach around".

Oh wait, this is supposed to be the big boy forum. Sorry didn't mean to lower the sophistication in here.

·
Registered
'76 1300L,HE351CW,H15P Winches,Konis,Hydraulics,All Gears,10mm Plungers,Aftercooler,Lots of Littles
2,674 Posts
It is a nice forum, but please, do not touch me.

C.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
C'mon, you know you want a reach around from a burly unimog dude..

·
Registered
'76 1300L,HE351CW,H15P Winches,Konis,Hydraulics,All Gears,10mm Plungers,Aftercooler,Lots of Littles
2,674 Posts
I suspect it will be a good fight, my friend.

I can see it on UFC now:

Burly Unimog Dude vs. Skinny Straight Guy - Only $29.99 Next Saturday on Pay Per View.

C.

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,857 Posts
Forum is only as great as the members..

Tanks you anti huggin moron's :thumbsup: for all you do:D

·
Registered
Sold .....1987 U1250 Unimog
1,005 Posts
Hey guys just wanted to mention that it is such a pleasure to participate on a forum with a bunch of adults that can act in a civil open minded manor and learn from each other rather than worrying about pissing on bushes. :thumbsup:

I've been in bicycle world lately and doing a bunch of research for a prototype I'm building and getting on a bunch of forums to see what people are taking about.

Let me tell you...boy you had better not say or propose anything that is even a millimeter off from the status quo or you will get flamed to Sunday.

The worst was the main British bicycle trials forum. Someone asked about rim vs disc brakes and I decided to share some of my 30+ years of experience on the subject and give my opinion. I used lots of 'in my opinion' 'from my experience' 'interesting idea,but I "think"' etc but that made no difference. You would think I had slandered some of their mothers. One guy even told me to "f**k" off because I dared to say that I thought that new technology disc brakes might work better. Might! Unbelievable.

If everyone was like the majority of the guys on there we would surly still be cutting our meat with rocks and they wouldn't even have bicycles to ride.

Tiny fragile egos.

Sheesh.

How dare you suggest that new disk brakes work better than the old school rubber on the outside of the rim. How Dare you, you better take it back or I’m going to walk over there and back hand you.

Agreed, The Forum is great, every now and a again you see a tiff but everyone makes up and its all good. Best forum around. Glad to be with Adults :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts