Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Mecedes-Benz 420SEL
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recognize that I will probably just start another firestorm of ranting by some immature members (by the way, I have observed that, on this forum and elsewhere, maturity apparently has little to do with age, so younger members please do not take offense), but I just wanted to comment that as of late... say, the past 3 months… the forum has become far less civil than I remember it. Also, threads seem to go off-topic more than in the past, which, if you think ahead, will make our search function far less useful in the future.

I joined the forum for the privilege of learning from you knowledgeable people on the subject of the W126. I also try to occasionally provide a word or two of advice on something I may have actually experienced… and I try to stay quiet on subjects on which I may just have another worthless opinion. Lately, many of the topics just seem to be endless childish arguments about wild fantasies and off-topic subjects.

Just an observation. Could we please return to the serious discussions of our cars, and leave the petty bickering to the off-topic threads? Or at least start marking threads appropriately (“What the #$^*^?” is not a very useful subject line for someone who needs help).

Thanks for your kind consideration.

Dave

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
F*ck off Dave. :)

Seriously, you are absolutely correct. Forums in general have become flame war locations, everyone is cursing at each other, etc.

Someone once told me this:

If you truly think someone has insulted you or otherwise is deserving of a strong response, your first post should be a very straightforward post to ask the person if they meant what you think they meant, as in:

"Dave, did you mean that I was making obnoxious rude posts when you commented about civility?"

No sarcasm, just a question. Two things can happen....one, the person will clear up the misunderstanding if they did not mean it, and the issue is closed. Two, they will say that they did indeed mean what you thought.

At that point, they look like an idiot, will usually get responses from other people in the group that took offense as well, and you also have the right to either take the high road ("Oh, I thought so. That's not appropriate in this forum.") or take them on directly ("Oh, that's what I thought. If you want to get into it, send me an email. But keep your posts on here on-topic.")

Good thoughts Dave!

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC, 2005 E320
1,294 Posts
dave420 said:
I recognize that I will probably just start another firestorm of ranting by some immature members (by the way, I have observed that, on this forum and elsewhere, maturity apparently has little to do with age, so younger members please do not take offense), but I just wanted to comment that as of late... say, the past 3 months… the forum has become far less civil than I remember it. Also, threads seem to go off-topic more than in the past, which, if you think ahead, will make our search function far less useful in the future.

I joined the forum for the privilege of learning from you knowledgeable people on the subject of the W126. I also try to occasionally provide a word or two of advice on something I may have actually experienced… and I try to stay quiet on subjects on which I may just have another worthless opinion. Lately, many of the topics just seem to be endless childish arguments about wild fantasies and off-topic subjects.

Just an observation. Could we please return to the serious discussions of our cars, and leave the petty bickering to the off-topic threads? Or at least start marking threads appropriately (“What the #$^*^?” is not a very useful subject line for someone who needs help).

Thanks for your kind consideration.

Dave
if you are reffering to the recently resurected Lambo door thread, that matter was resolved months ago. It may appear new, but read the dates. Long time ago man.
the thread (“What the #$^*^?”.? agreed. not very useful, but I didn't mind it all that much.

·
Registered
2005 W220 S500 4Matic / 2008 W211 E350 4Matic
997 Posts
Dave, that was well-put and is appreciated. Your sublety was not lost on those who know what you are talking about.

·
Registered
1983 Euro 500SEC AMG, 83 SEC custom convertible, 2x 84 500SEC, 02 w203coupe, euro 1985 300d
1,579 Posts
Why can't we all get along???

answer--->my 3cents

1. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and there will be some crazy ones, so what, tell others what you feel. That is why you pased the question, right?? To see what everyone else thinks right??

2. When differing in outlook please remind ones self when taking an insult not to act as a low brow hairy cave man but to take it as a grain of salt, the community will take care of its own in just a few postings. Regardless of what people think, you do not have to hold your own, friends will help out.

3. We all have cars (a sickness) that we love and have full control over what we do with them so why should it matter what someone else thinks or how much we can prove.

I hate it when everyone makes fun of my convertible for being a flexible flyer, but I laugh it off....everyone just needs to lighten up

Heres a parallel analogy--- you are at a party, your collective clubhouse, would you rather hang out with the happy drunk or the angry one that looks for boasting and getting into fights every time you pose a viewpoint?? Also, you shouldn't outright slam someone for something that someone is way too excited over somthing they want to do.

haven't we beat the dead horse on the whole lambo door thing some years ago on both the pros and cone when they first came out??, or was that on the w203 site?? don't remember its been too long. personally i would never do it to my daily driver but i would consider it on my flexible flyer!

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC, 2005 E320
1,294 Posts
HeirKranz said:
Why can't we all get along???

answer--->my 3cents

haven't we beat the dead horse on the whole lambo door thing some years ago on both the pros and cone when they first came out??, or was that on the w203 site?? don't remember its been too long. personally i would never do it to my daily driver but i would consider it on my flexible flyer!
agreed. It wasn't me who brought it back up. I was perfectly willing to let the subject die.

·
Registered
1991 420 SEL
52 Posts
This is a very entertaining board with contributions from member with great knowledge about w126. Yes , sometimes there are lots of "off topic" discussions which i feel adds amusement and color to this forum. I wouldnt change a thing. Of course, all discussions must be polite and civil.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
42,137 Posts
We had a post on inappropiate personal attacks, and the lack of civility some time ago. I think it has improved.
The few confrontation junkies get the proper attention,... by being mostly ignored.

Q: "No man not a Gentleman can insult me, and no Gentleman ever will."

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
i think there are too many people holding grudges with eachother aswell. it inhibits progress. i've had conflicts before, but if someone is being an asshole one day, big deal. i'll still talk to them the next day. however there are few occasions where people get obsessed like rex. then they get banned cause he's an asshole everyday. haha..

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
Thanks for bringing it up Dave. I feel members have the right to post their fantasies, but should also be prepared to have their comments/ideas criticized. This forum IS NOT a place for personal put downs etcetera.

ALSO, PLEASE stay on topic. You guys know who you are, i've already spoken with most of you. Off topic means anything NOT w126 related. Either find the right topic for it, or post it in OFF TOPIC. Also, if you find something interesting in current thread, that might bring the thread off topic, please post a new thread.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
This is still the best 126 forum. BW was one of the first (if not the) to have chassis specific fora. Over the years the MB sites have added a 126 sub forum but most, if not all are dead like MBWorld and MBCA*.

Is the BW 126 forum as good as it was when I joined?

No.

There are some reasons for that that are not the forum members’ or hosts’ fault. In the ‘old days’ we had the flaming and the fights – we had the same arguments about wheels, what’s real AMG, and mods. Feelings got hurt, toes were stepped on, it got rough at times; but it was done with a wit and sense of humor that kept things just below the boiling point. It was the best and most interesting forum on BW.

Oh, well.

If you’re going to zing someone at least try to do it with some wit and humor.

*MBCA has fora for the coupes and sedans – both are dead but it’s interesting (to me, anyway) the coupe forum is even more dead.

·
Registered
"500"sel, 560sec
2,036 Posts
jdc1244 said:
This is still the best 126 forum. BW was one of the first (if not the) to have chassis specific fora. Over the years the MB sites have added a 126 sub forum but most, if not all are dead like MBWorld and MBCA*.

Is the BW 126 forum as good as it was when I joined?

No.

There are some reasons for that that are not the forum members’ or hosts’ fault. In the ‘old days’ we had the flaming and the fights – we had the same arguments about wheels, what’s real AMG, and mods. Feelings got hurt, toes were stepped on, it got rough at times; but it was done with a wit and sense of humor that kept things just below the boiling point. It was the best and most interesting forum on BW.

Oh, well.

If you’re going to zing someone at least try to do it with some wit and humor.

*MBCA has fora for the coupes and sedans – both are dead but it’s interesting (to me, anyway) the coupe forum is even more dead.
My sentiments exactly, no need to turn into a bunch of pansies, we're all big boys here.

·
Registered
2005 W220 S500 4Matic / 2008 W211 E350 4Matic
997 Posts

·
Registered
'84 500 SEC Euro 040 black Lorinser 2005 sl500
2,516 Posts
Very well said, Dave. I have been asked many times by people who have approached me about my 500 SEC if I read the forums and why they haven't seen me on it before. I simply reply that yes, I do read it for the fantastic technical knowledge that members share but I generally get turned off quickly because some folks who seem to have many problems with many different members usually jump into every thread, then turn it into a "I know more than you do" ...even when they don't, or into a "my idea is certainly better than yours because it is my idea".

I will continue to ask for help and read topics that interest me, but when I see certain members that seem to live on this site jump on a thread I will continue to skip reading anything they may insist on interjecting.

Thanks to all that have helped me keep my car on the road!

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC, 2005 E320
1,294 Posts
I was gonna ask you where you were. Been a while. How ya been? Did you ever get those jackhole covers out?

·
Registered
'84 500 SEC Euro 040 black Lorinser 2005 sl500
2,516 Posts
Hey there! Yes, the jack hole covers should have been there Thursday morning. I will pull the tracking number and see where they are. Went out USPS priority.

·
Registered
"500"sel, 560sec
2,036 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Yes, it sure is strange how things work out on the internet forums.
Now that I drive a Benz chicks dig me!:D

1 - 20 of 49 Posts